Congress leadership summons Kiran Kumar Reddy to Delhi
Hyderabad: Amid speculations of a possible leadership change in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Saturday rushed to Delhi on summons from the Congress leadership.
The Chief Minister cancelled all his scheduled programmes for Saturday to leave for the national capital, where Governor ESL Narasimhan and state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana are already camping. They are likely to meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi and other top leaders separately.
Visiting Delhi for the second time in a week, the Governor is likely to brief Sonia Gandhi, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and others about the latest political situation in the state.
The visit of the state`s top leadership assume significance in view of the Governor returning to the state government a file relating to its recommendation not to give permission to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to prosecute senior Cabinet minister Dharmana Prasada Rao.
The Governor has advised the Cabinet to reconsider the issue and seek further legal opinion.
The development has embarrassed the government and the Chief Minister is under fire from his critics in the Cabinet for passing a resolution in the Cabinet rejecting the CBI request for permission to prosecute the minister, an accused in YSR Congress party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy`s disproportionate assets case.
The Congress leadership`s summons to the Chief Minister are also significant in view of December 28 all-party meeting convened by the central government on the Telangana issue.
The party is under pressure from its leaders in the Telangana region to take a stand in favour of the demand for statehood to Telangana.
According to some Congress officials, the leadership is focusing on strengthening the organisation in the state in the run up to 2014 elections. They have not ruled out an expansion and reshuffle of the Cabinet to give it a new look.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources