Congress leadership summons Kiran Kumar Reddy to Delhi
Hyderabad: Amid speculations of a possible leadership change in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Saturday rushed to Delhi on summons from the Congress leadership.
The Chief Minister cancelled all his scheduled programmes for Saturday to leave for the national capital, where Governor ESL Narasimhan and state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana are already camping. They are likely to meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi and other top leaders separately.
Visiting Delhi for the second time in a week, the Governor is likely to brief Sonia Gandhi, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and others about the latest political situation in the state.
The visit of the state`s top leadership assume significance in view of the Governor returning to the state government a file relating to its recommendation not to give permission to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to prosecute senior Cabinet minister Dharmana Prasada Rao.
The Governor has advised the Cabinet to reconsider the issue and seek further legal opinion.
The development has embarrassed the government and the Chief Minister is under fire from his critics in the Cabinet for passing a resolution in the Cabinet rejecting the CBI request for permission to prosecute the minister, an accused in YSR Congress party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy`s disproportionate assets case.
The Congress leadership`s summons to the Chief Minister are also significant in view of December 28 all-party meeting convened by the central government on the Telangana issue.
The party is under pressure from its leaders in the Telangana region to take a stand in favour of the demand for statehood to Telangana.
According to some Congress officials, the leadership is focusing on strengthening the organisation in the state in the run up to 2014 elections. They have not ruled out an expansion and reshuffle of the Cabinet to give it a new look.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars