Congress MLA surrenders in criminal case, gets bail
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh Minister and Congress MLA P Shankar Rao, booked for "threatening and abusing" a police officer probing a land case, surrendered before state CID here and was later granted bail, police said on Tuesday.
Rao had earlier moved a local court for anticipatory bail. The court asked the ruling party legislator to surrender before the police (CID) and furnish sureties to get bail.
Accordingly, Rao surrendered before the CID. He was briefly arrested and enlarged on bail after he furnished three sureties of Rs 1 lakh each, an official release said today.
Rao, who surrendered his passport to the police, was asked to appear before the police every Thursday, it said.
Police in February this year filed a criminal case against Rao for allegedly "threatening and abusing" Neredmet Station House Officer P Srinivas.
The MLA from Secunderabad Cantonment constituency allegedly threatened Srinivas when he, along with other policemen, went to serve notice on the legislator, who is accused of forging land documents related to a project at Neredmet here for "illegal" gains.
Rao`s daughter Sushmita had also lodged a complaint with the Musheerabad police, alleging policemen from Neredmet manhandled the senior MLA when they went to pick him up for questioning in connection with the land case on January 31.
In November 2011, a criminal case was filed against the MLA, his brother P Dayanand and three others for allegedly duping the owners of housing plots in Green Field Colony.
Police wanted to question Rao in connection with the case after the AP High Court lifted a stay on his arrest last year and went to his residence at Musheerabad on January 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview