Congress MP for early decision on resignation
New Delhi: Congress Lok Sabha member from Seemandhra region Lagadapati Rajagopal on Tuesday said he did not resign under pressure and demanded that the Speaker should accept his resignation.
"We would do everything possible to ensure that our resignations are accepted because it is our fundamental right. We want the Speaker to honour our right," he told reporters here.
Rajagopal said he tried to meet Speaker Meira Kumar yesterday to ensure that his resignation is accepted.
"I tried to meet the Speaker (who is on foreign tour)... her office personnel told me that she may not attend office today also. Hence, I will meet her on October 17," he said.
Rajagopal, representing Vijayawada constituency in Seemandhra region, had submitted his resignation to the Speaker on August 2 in protest against the Centre`s decision to divide Andhra Pradesh and form separate Telangana state.
He, later, approached the Delhi High Court seeking a direction to the Speaker to accept his resignation.
He stressed that his resignation should be accepted as it was done in the case of former Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location