Congress MP pens book on YSR
New Delhi: Debate on who inherits the true legacy of late YS Rajasekhara Reddy is perpetual in Andhra Pradesh polity but it seems the Congress does not want to distance itself from one of its tall leaders in the politically-crucial state.
The ruling party in Andhra Pradesh which is almost divided on regional lines after the Telangana tangle resurfaced in late 2009, is making constant efforts to reclaim YSR`s legacy which was snatched away by his rebellious son YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
YSR`s `Man Friday` and Congress MP KVP Ramachandra Rao has now penned a book "Padayatra My Diary -- Dr YS Rajasekhara Reddy" chronicling the events and memories of the historic journey that the late chief minister embarked in 2003, only to bring the party back to power the next year.
Rao, known in political circles as `inner conscience` of YSR when he was alive, meticulously goes into intrigue details of the padayatra that took YSR to every part of the vast state covering 1,470 km in the scorching summer of 2003.
The book will be released by Congress leaders Motilal Vora and Ghulam Nabi Azad on Friday.
The Congress had been distancing itself from YSR for a few months, but last year it made a conscious attempt to regain the space from Jagan when most of its senior leaders came on one platform to release a pictographical book on the departed leader.
The new book by Rao seems to be part of the Congress` strategy to reclaim YSR`s legacy and to make a firm statement that it does not want to cede the space to his son, whose fledgling YSR Congress is making deep inroads into the parent party`s vote bank in most regions of the state.
The debate on YSR`s legacy has been dominating the politics in Andhra Pradesh ever since he had an untimely death in a helicopter crash on September 2, 2009.
Jagan claims he is the `genuine inheritor` of his father`s legacy, while the Congress says it vests with it as YSR became a powerful leader and then chief minister only because of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum