Congress plays down Rayala-Telangana issue
New Delhi: Congress on Monday appeared to play down suggestions that the GoM set up to look into bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh could favour inclusion of two districts of Rayalseema in Telangana saying "Telangana remains Telangana" even if the two districts are included.
Party general secretary in-charge for Andhra Pradesh Digvijay Singh at the same time made it clear that he was "not aware" what is the GoM`s report.
"Telangana remains Telangana. Even if they (the two districts) are inlcuded, it remains Telangana," Singh said when asked whether the inclusion of the two districts of Rayalseema -- Kurnool and Anantapur--will not amount to make the new state Rayala Telangana whereas the resolution of the Congress Working Committee was for creation of Telangana.
He said "I am not aware what the GoM report is. Let it come in public domain...The GoM has gone into details. Let us wait for its recommendation".
The GoM, set up to look into the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, is all set to recommend a special status to both the states under Article 371-D of the Constitution and examining a proposal to include two districts of Rayalseema in Telangana.
The proposal to reconstruct the boundaries of Telangana and include Kurnool and Anantapur districts as part of Telangana is believed to have been examined by the GoM.
If Kurnool and Anantapur are added to Telangana state, it will make the bifurcation equal in terms of Lok Sabha and assembly seats for both Telangana and Seemandhra with each having 21 Lok Sabha and 147 assembly seats each.
At present, Seemandhra region of the state has 153 MLAs as against 119 from Telangana. Congress is keen that the state assembly clears the draft bill for Telangana. Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy has many times voiced his reservations against the Telangana decision.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know