Congress says `good riddance` to defectors in Andhra Pradesh
New Delhi: Hitting out at leaders in Andhra Pradesh who have quit the party to join TRS, Congress on Sunday alleged that they have defected for personal gains and to ensure tickets for their kin in the coming elections and not for the Telangana cause.
"Unfortunately, the people who are joining today, they are joining as an individual in the capacity to make politics as a business, trade," AICC General Secretary and in-charge of Andhra Pradesh Ghulam Nabi Azad said.
Congress leader and former PCC chief K Keshava Rao and two MPs G Vivekananda and Manda Jagannatham quit last week to join TRS that is spearheading movement for Telangana statehood.
Unfazed by the action of the three leaders to quit the party, Azad said "The way they have struck business with the leadership of TRS, that those who are resigning whether they are ex-MPs or MPs, they will get MP tickets, their children will get MLA tickets."
Azad said they have not resigned for the sake of Telangana but for their own benefit.
"I do not think they deserve to be a politician. This is just like a business... Like a trade. So it is a good riddance. We would like the people who believe in Congress party`s policy, who have some conviction or devoted to the people," he told a news channel.
"I do not think they are devoted to the people. I could have imagined if they would have resigned just for Telangana. But they have not resigned for Telangana. They have just bargained how many seats they are going to get for themselves and for their relatives (in elections)," he said.
With the issue returning to haunt the party, a meeting of Congress Core Group yesterday took a view of the political situation in Andhra Pradesh. Azad had attended the meeting.
Congress is yet to clear its position on the vexed issue of Telangana. The separate statehood issue in Andhra Pradesh has been troubling the party for long. The Congress-ruled state is divided on regional lines on the Telangana demand.
Andhra Pradesh is one of the few major states where the party is in power on its own and a good showing is crucial for it in the general elections due next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?