Congress seeks BJP support for clearing Telangana Bill in Parliament
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Congress is reportedly seeking the support of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for clearance of Telangana Bill in Parliament on February 12, a day after the Union Cabinet cleared the draft bill.
Senior Congress leaders Ahmed Patel and Digvijay Singh had earlier met former BJP chief Venkaiah Naidu in an effort to garner support for the bill, as per news reports on Saturday.
Despite demands by Union Minister Pallam Raju, the Bill has not made any provision for granting Union Territory status to Hyderabad.
With the current session being the last of the 15th Lok Sabha, the government wants that the Bill should be taken up for consideration and passage during the session.
The Cabinet cleared the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill after a special marathon meeting which was followed by a meeting of the Congress Core Group headed by party President Sonia Gandhi. AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh, who is in-charge of Andhra Pradesh, was the special invite at the meeting.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early