Congress seeks probe into Jagan`s activities in jail
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh Monday demanded a high-level probe into allegations that YSR Congress party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy was running his party from Chanchalguda Jail here.
Congress chief whip G. Venkata Ramana Reddy said that Director General of Police V. Dinesh Reddy should order a probe into the allegations against jail authorities and police officials supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
Venkata Ramana Reddy told reporters there was a need for a thorough inquiry into allegations that the Lok Sabha member from Kadapa is being allowed to meet a large number of visitors in violation of jail rules. He said there were doubts that Jagan, as he is popularly callede, was as well using mobile phone in jail.
Venkata Ramana Reddy said action should be taken against officials if found guilty of supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
The ruling party made the demand close on the heels of Finance Minister Anam Ramnarayan Reddy`s statement last week that Jaganmohan Reddy had turned Chanchalguda Jail into a YSR Congress party office.
Jaganmohan Reddy, son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, has been lodged in the jail since May last year in a disproportionate assets case.
Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member V. Hanumantha Rao demanded that Jaganmohan Reddy be shifted to a jail outside Andhra Pradesh.
Main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) had repeatedly alleged that Jaganmohan Reddy, in collusion with some jail officials, was running the party activities from the jail and meeting several visitors.
During the last 10 months, about a dozen legislators of the Congress and the TDP switched loyalties to the YSR Congress after calling on Jaganmohan Reddy in prison.
The CBI court has extended the judicial custody of Jaganmohan Reddy, former minister Mopidevi Venkataramana, industrialist Nimmagada Prasad and other accused till April 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!