Congress seeks probe into Jagan`s activities in jail
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh Monday demanded a high-level probe into allegations that YSR Congress party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy was running his party from Chanchalguda Jail here.
Congress chief whip G. Venkata Ramana Reddy said that Director General of Police V. Dinesh Reddy should order a probe into the allegations against jail authorities and police officials supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
Venkata Ramana Reddy told reporters there was a need for a thorough inquiry into allegations that the Lok Sabha member from Kadapa is being allowed to meet a large number of visitors in violation of jail rules. He said there were doubts that Jagan, as he is popularly callede, was as well using mobile phone in jail.
Venkata Ramana Reddy said action should be taken against officials if found guilty of supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
The ruling party made the demand close on the heels of Finance Minister Anam Ramnarayan Reddy`s statement last week that Jaganmohan Reddy had turned Chanchalguda Jail into a YSR Congress party office.
Jaganmohan Reddy, son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, has been lodged in the jail since May last year in a disproportionate assets case.
Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member V. Hanumantha Rao demanded that Jaganmohan Reddy be shifted to a jail outside Andhra Pradesh.
Main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) had repeatedly alleged that Jaganmohan Reddy, in collusion with some jail officials, was running the party activities from the jail and meeting several visitors.
During the last 10 months, about a dozen legislators of the Congress and the TDP switched loyalties to the YSR Congress after calling on Jaganmohan Reddy in prison.
The CBI court has extended the judicial custody of Jaganmohan Reddy, former minister Mopidevi Venkataramana, industrialist Nimmagada Prasad and other accused till April 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS