Congress seeks probe into Jagan`s activities in jail
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh Monday demanded a high-level probe into allegations that YSR Congress party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy was running his party from Chanchalguda Jail here.
Congress chief whip G. Venkata Ramana Reddy said that Director General of Police V. Dinesh Reddy should order a probe into the allegations against jail authorities and police officials supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
Venkata Ramana Reddy told reporters there was a need for a thorough inquiry into allegations that the Lok Sabha member from Kadapa is being allowed to meet a large number of visitors in violation of jail rules. He said there were doubts that Jagan, as he is popularly callede, was as well using mobile phone in jail.
Venkata Ramana Reddy said action should be taken against officials if found guilty of supporting Jaganmohan Reddy.
The ruling party made the demand close on the heels of Finance Minister Anam Ramnarayan Reddy`s statement last week that Jaganmohan Reddy had turned Chanchalguda Jail into a YSR Congress party office.
Jaganmohan Reddy, son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, has been lodged in the jail since May last year in a disproportionate assets case.
Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member V. Hanumantha Rao demanded that Jaganmohan Reddy be shifted to a jail outside Andhra Pradesh.
Main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) had repeatedly alleged that Jaganmohan Reddy, in collusion with some jail officials, was running the party activities from the jail and meeting several visitors.
During the last 10 months, about a dozen legislators of the Congress and the TDP switched loyalties to the YSR Congress after calling on Jaganmohan Reddy in prison.
The CBI court has extended the judicial custody of Jaganmohan Reddy, former minister Mopidevi Venkataramana, industrialist Nimmagada Prasad and other accused till April 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?