Congress Telangana MPs stay away from Parliament
New Delhi: In an embarrassment to the
Congress, 10 party MPs from Telangana region in Andhra
Pradesh, who have tendered their resignation on the separate
statehood issue, on Monday stayed away from Parliament on the
opening day of the Monsoon Session.
The MPs, including senior party leader K Keshav Rao,
decided not to attend the session and were closeted at his
Karimnagar MP Ponnam Prabhakar said the Telangana
Congress MPs who have resigned their posts will not attend the
"We want a separate Telangana state. That is our only
demand. So, we are not attending Parliament," he said.
While 9 MPs are from Lok Sabha, Rao is from Rajya
Sabha. Congress has 12 MPs in Lok Sabha from the Telangana
The lawmakers are scheduled to meet Congress general
secretary in-charge of Andhra Pradesh Ghulam Nabi Azad in the
evening and hold further consultations.
The MPs resigned on July 4 in protest against the
Centre`s delay in announcing the formation of a Telangana
state, but Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Rajya Sabha
Chairman Hamid Ansari have not yet taken any decision on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday