Congress to align with Praja Rajyam for GHMC polls
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress in Andhra
Pradesh has decided to align with actor Chiranjeevi`s Praja
Rajyam Party (PRP) for the elections to the Greater Hyderabad
Municipal Corporation (GHMC) slated for November 23.
The alliance between the national party and the
15-month-old regional party was formalised after a secret
meeting late last night between Andhra Pradesh Congress
Committee (APCC) president D Srinivas and PRP leader and
Chiranjeevi`s brother-in-law Allu Aravind, party sources said.
While AICC general secretary in-charge of state affairs M
Veerappa Moily and Chief Minister K Rosaiah gave their nod to
the alliance on behalf of their party, Chiranjeevi currently
camping in Kerala with family, too conveyed his approval over
phone to Srinivas, they said.
Chiranjeevi will return to Hyderabad this afternoon after
which he will have a formal meeting with the APCC chief to
finalise the seat-sharing, a senior PRP leader said.
State Health Minister and Greater Hyderabad Congress
Committee president Danam Nagender met APCC president this
morning and discussed the alliance with PRP.
Nagender said the entire issue was being looked into by
the PCC president. The PCC president will decide on the number
of seats to be shared with the PRP, he said.
Backward Classes Welfare Minister M Mukesh Goud, who
hails from Hyderabad, too held talks with Srinivas over the
alliance with PRP, party members said.
Till last morning, the APCC president had asserted that
the Congress would contest the GHMC elections without any
alliance. But, with the party prospects looking bleak in the
state capital given the worsening of living conditions and
civic amenities in the last five years, the ruling party
deemed it fit to join hands with a regional party, sources
There were feelers from the PRP that it was interested in
joining hands with us for the GHMC elections and accordingly
we too moved ahead to forge our partnership, a senior PCC
Though the PRP grossly failed to make a mark in the
general elections in April this year, the Congress chose to
align with the former only to thwart the principal opposition
Telugu Desam Party`s plans to tie-up with Chiranjeevi`s party.
The TDP was willing to align with the PRP if the latter came
up with a proposal for the GHMC elections but no talks were
held between the two sides, the leader said.
Given the chord that Chiranjeevi was able to strike with
Chief Minister K Rosaiah, the Congress took the lead to
formalise an alliance with the PRP, party sources said.
A clearer picture on the Congress-PRP alliance will
emerge later this evening after Chiranjeevi`s interaction with
the APCC president, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical