Cong`s bid to get YSRC candidates disqualified fall flat
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress` game plan of getting the YSR Congress candidates disqualified from contesting June 12 by-elections in Andhra Pradesh fell flat with the Election Commission rejecting its plea in this regard.
Government Chief Whip Gandra Venkata Ramana Reddy submitted a petition to state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Bhanwar Lal on Saturday requesting the Election Commission to reject the nominations of 16 YSR Congress candidates, as they were disqualified from the Assembly only in March this year under the Anti-Defection Act.
The Chief Whip wanted the EC to bar these MLAs from contesting the elections in accordance with Section 36 (2) (a) of the Representation of People Act.
The CEO, however, clarified that the 16 MLAs were disqualified by Assembly Speaker as per the Article 191 (2) of the Constitution of India.
The Speaker in his order on March 2 (related to 16 MLAs) had noted that he/she "ceases to be a member of the House" only.
"This cannot be construed as a bar on getting elected to the House. As such, there can be no bar on their contesting the election," Bhanwar Lal clarified.
The Section 36 (2) (a) of RPA doesn`t apply in this case, he added, as it should be read with Article 191 (1) of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?