Consensus on SC/ST Bill needed: Kharge
Rajahmundry: Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday said education was needed for upliftment of the downtrodden.
He was speaking after inaugurating a Rs 1.10 crore stadium built in the memory of late Lok Sabha Speaker GMC Balayogi at Amalapuram in East Godavari district.
"There is need for development of Dalits in all fronts which require higher education. For that they must show keen interest in education and avail the schemes launched by the government for this purpose," he said.
Kharge also appealed to all political parties to come forward to support the bill for reservations to SC and ST employees in promotions in government jobs. "Only one or two parties are supporting the legislation. It is the duty of all political parties to take initiative in passing the bill in Rajya Sabha," he said.
The minister recalled the development work done by the late Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch
- Here's PV Sindhu's REPLY to Telangana deputy CM who offered her a 'better coach' than Pullela Gopichand
- When Smriti Irani was denied cabin crew job for 'lack of good personality' - Know Details
- Health Ministry to start awareness campaign on dengue, chikungunya