Consensus on SC/ST Bill needed: Kharge
Rajahmundry: Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday said education was needed for upliftment of the downtrodden.
He was speaking after inaugurating a Rs 1.10 crore stadium built in the memory of late Lok Sabha Speaker GMC Balayogi at Amalapuram in East Godavari district.
"There is need for development of Dalits in all fronts which require higher education. For that they must show keen interest in education and avail the schemes launched by the government for this purpose," he said.
Kharge also appealed to all political parties to come forward to support the bill for reservations to SC and ST employees in promotions in government jobs. "Only one or two parties are supporting the legislation. It is the duty of all political parties to take initiative in passing the bill in Rajya Sabha," he said.
The minister recalled the development work done by the late Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured