Consensus on SC/ST Bill needed: Kharge
Rajahmundry: Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday said education was needed for upliftment of the downtrodden.
He was speaking after inaugurating a Rs 1.10 crore stadium built in the memory of late Lok Sabha Speaker GMC Balayogi at Amalapuram in East Godavari district.
"There is need for development of Dalits in all fronts which require higher education. For that they must show keen interest in education and avail the schemes launched by the government for this purpose," he said.
Kharge also appealed to all political parties to come forward to support the bill for reservations to SC and ST employees in promotions in government jobs. "Only one or two parties are supporting the legislation. It is the duty of all political parties to take initiative in passing the bill in Rajya Sabha," he said.
The minister recalled the development work done by the late Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH