Convene all-party meet on Telangana: BJP tells PM
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh BJP on Thursday
appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to convene an all-
party meeting to discuss and resolve the issue of separate
statehood for Telangana region, which is witnessing a
crippling general strike for over two weeks now.
`Sakar Janula Samme` (general strike) in support of
Telangana state entered the 17th day today. The stir has
spread to virtually all departments and is even affecting
functioning of private establishments in the region, State BJP
spokesperson N V S S Prabhakar told reporters here.
The Prime Minister should initiate steps to convene an
all-party meeting to find a solution of the long-pending
issue, he said.
The Centre should announce creation of Telangana state
before the situation goes out of hand, he maintained.
The Congress-led UPA Government has been wasting time
by holding only talks with MLAs and MPs of the region and not
announcing concrete steps, the BJP leader said.
The people of Telangana are fed up with the culture of
setting up different committees by the Centre on the decades-
old issue, Prabhakar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez