Cops hold public meeting in fugitive ultra Ganpathi`s village
Karimnagar: In a bid to instill confidence in villagers affected by Maoist insurgency in the district and to flush out fugitive Naxal leader Muppala Laxman Rao alias Ganpathi, police recently held a public meeting in his native Beerpur.
The initiative is taken by SP Siva Shankar who organised the meeting at the village under Sarangpur revenue mandal, nearly 70 kms from here, where locals from 22 villages participated.
"The main objective behind holding the meeting was to invite Maoist leader Muppala Laxman Rao alias Ganpathi to join the mainstream," an official said.
Police suspect that Ganpathi (60) either masterminded or participated in major attacks in the region over the years.
Ganpathi has been underground for nearly four decades and attempts by police to lay their hands on him came unstuck even as naxals killed many villagers in different incidents across state, including Karimnagar district, by branding them as police informers.
"In order to create confidence in hearts of bereaved families of villagers, the SP has taken the step to conduct interaction programme with them. Police organised a peace rally and also cultural programmes in the village," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy