Counting of votes in 294 Assembly seats in Andhra Pradesh on Friday
Hyderabad: Counting for 42 Lok Sabha and 294 Assembly seats in undivided Andhra Pradesh will be held on Friday, where states of Telangana and Seemandhra are all set to get their respective governments post division.
The two-phase polls held in Telangana region on April 30 and Seemandhra (collectively known as Andhra and Rayalasema regions) on May 7 were the last elections in the undivided Andhra Pradesh, which is the first State to be created in the country on linguistic basis.
Telangana, with ten districts, would be formally born as India`s 29th State on June 2.
The outcome of counting is set to redefine broad political contours in both the regions that under unified Andhra Pradesh have seen successive Congress governments.
Winning candidates would become members of respective first Legislative Assemblies of residuary Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, a certainly emotional moment for many.
Bitter campaigning marked the run-up to polls between principal contenders ? Congress and TRS in Telangana, and TDP-BJP combine and YSR Congress Party in Seemandhra (residuary Andhra Pradesh).
Polling for 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly seats in Telangana region was held in April 30 and for 25 Lok Sabha and 175 Assembly seats across 13 districts in Seemandhra on May 7.
The Congress which had won 33 of total 42 Lok Sabha seats in 2009 polls has seemingly ceded the ground in Seemandhra as the public anger is directed towards the party for dividing Andhra Pradesh to create Telangana.
Analaysts feel that Congress is facing a rout in Seemandhra region.
Prominent candidates in the fray are YSR Congress Party president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy (Pulivendula Assembly seat), TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, Union ministers M M Pallam Raju, V Kishore Chandra Deo, Panabaka Lakshmi, Kotla Suryaprakash Reddy and S Jaipal Reddy -- all Congress, besides D Purandeswari (BJP).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know