Court allows YSR Congress public meet in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Wednesday permitted the YSR Congress to hold a public meeting here on Saturday in support of united Andhra Pradesh.
While setting aside Hyderabad police`s order denying permission for the meeting, the court said the same may be held from 2 to 5 pm.
Justice N Rammohan Rao directed the organisers to give a written undertaking to police that no provocative speech would be made at the meeting.
The court passed the orders on a petition filed by YSR Congress general secretary K Shiva Kumar, challenging the police action.
The police had denied permission for the meeting on the ground that it may create a law and order problem.
While noting that various groups of pro-Telangana supporters are opposed to the meeting, the police said that anti-social elements may indulge in violence.
The police order came after the high court left the decision to it when the YSR Congress first approached the court early this month.
This will be the first public meeting by any political party in Hyderabad to oppose the central government`s decision to carve out a separate Telangana state.
It will also be the first meeting to be addressed by YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy since his release from jail Sep 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons