Court allows YSR Congress public meet in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Wednesday permitted the YSR Congress to hold a public meeting here on Saturday in support of united Andhra Pradesh.
While setting aside Hyderabad police`s order denying permission for the meeting, the court said the same may be held from 2 to 5 pm.
Justice N Rammohan Rao directed the organisers to give a written undertaking to police that no provocative speech would be made at the meeting.
The court passed the orders on a petition filed by YSR Congress general secretary K Shiva Kumar, challenging the police action.
The police had denied permission for the meeting on the ground that it may create a law and order problem.
While noting that various groups of pro-Telangana supporters are opposed to the meeting, the police said that anti-social elements may indulge in violence.
The police order came after the high court left the decision to it when the YSR Congress first approached the court early this month.
This will be the first public meeting by any political party in Hyderabad to oppose the central government`s decision to carve out a separate Telangana state.
It will also be the first meeting to be addressed by YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy since his release from jail Sep 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'