Court dismisses bail plea of Mecca Masjid blast accused
Hyderabad: A local court on Monday dismissed the
bail pleas of two accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid bomb blast
case on the ground that further investigations were still on.
The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court also permitted
the CBI, probing the blast case, an additional time of 90 days
to complete investigation and file a charge sheet in the case.
Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma, who are among the five
persons named as accused in the charge sheet filed by the
Rajasthan ATS in the 2007 Ajmer blast case, had sought bail
contending that the CBI had not filed a charge sheet so far in
the Mecca Masjid blasts despite the expiry of mandatory 90
days. The duo said they were in judicial custody since June 17
at a prison here.
The court today noted that probe in the case were not yet
completed and some more material had to be collected after
apprehending the prime accused, currently absconding.
Moreover, provisions under the Unlawful Activities
(Prevention) Act has been invoked in the case by the CBI and
further 90 days is granted for completing investigation and
filing the charge sheet, the court said.
"This is a case of murder in a bomb blast at a religious
place (Mecca Masjid). It is very sensitive case. Hence, the
petitioners are not entitled to bail," the court said.
Earlier, opposing the bail applications, the prosecution
in its counter stated that the duo, allegedly having links
with a right-wing Hindu outfit, carried out blast at the Mecca
Masjid and targeted a particular community.
“It is a sensitive case and if the duo are granted bail
it may lead to communal clashes," CBI senior public prosecutor
T V Ramana had told the court last week.
With the prime accused in the case Sandeep Dange and Rama
Chandra Kalsangra alias Ramji -- both natives of Indore,
remaining elusive, the CBI had previously filed an application
before the court seeking further period of 90 days to file
charge sheet against the accused.
"We will file the charge sheet against the two arrested
persons within 180 days under the provisions of Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act," Ramana had said.
After hearing the arguments the court had posted the
matter for orders today.
A cell phone-triggered pipe bomb placed inside the Mecca
Masjid here during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007 had claimed
nine lives. Five people were killed in police firing in the
clashes that erupted after the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Sachin Saga: Tendulkar set to appear in world of digital gaming
- I share a good rapport with team members: Anil Kumble
- Sonia to flag off bus yatra to UP on July 23
- MS Dhoni to mentor talent with Craig McDermott's cricket academy in Australia
- Gujarat Dalit flogging incident: Four police officials suspended, says Rajnath Singh