Court examines Owaisi brothers, four MIM MLAs in 2005 case
Sangareddy: A local court on Monday examined MIM chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi, his younger brother and jailed party MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, besides four party legislators in connection with a 2005 case filed against them for preventing government officials from performing their duties.
Asaduddin and four party legislators attended the court of judicial first class magistrate here, while Akbaruddin, who is lodged in Adilabad district jail in an alleged hate speech case, was produced by the police.
The Owaisi brothers and others, including four party MLAs were booked by Patancheru police in Medak district for allegedly obstructing the then Medak district Collector and other officials from discharging their duties in 2005.
The court questioned the six accused on the allegations mentioned in the charge sheet. Owaisi brothers and four MLAs, however, denied all the allegations and said they wanted to proceed with the trial.
The court, then posted the matter to February 8 for examination of witnesses.
Earlier, NBWs were issued against the Owaisi brothers after they "failed" to appear before the court.
The MIM chief, who is accused number 1 in the case, was remanded to judicial custody by the judicial magistrate on January 21 and dismissed his two bail petitions. Though, a higher court later granted bail to him on January 24.
The case was registered on a complaint by a revenue official that Asaduddin, party MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi and others protested demolition of a place of worship at Muttangi village near Patancheru during a road widening work of Hyderabad-Mumbai National Highway.
They had allegedly engaged in heated arguments with the then Medak District Collector AK Singhal and other officers during the protest and Owaisi brothers had allegedly pushed the Collector.
There are 30 accused in this case and trial had earlier begun against 24, while it was yet to commence against Owaisi brothers and the four MLAs, as they had not attended the court proceedings earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok