Court refuses bail to Gali Janardhan Reddy in OMC
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here on Monday dismissed the bail plea of mining baron and former Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, an accused in the illegal mining case involving his Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC).
This was the sixth bail petition of Gali Janardhan Reddy since his arrest in the OMC scam in September last year, which was again dismissed today.
Janardhan Reddy, a sitting MLC from Karnataka, presently under judicial remand in Chanchalguda Central Prison here, had last week moved the CBI court seeking to grant him bail to enable him to participate in the Assembly elections in that state, scheduled to be conducted next year.
However, the CBI, which strongly opposed his bail application, had contended that the investigations into the illegal mining case were still continuing and apprehended that if Janardhan Reddy was enlarged on bail, there was possibility of tampering of evidences and witnesses.
Janardhan Reddy is also an accused in connection with the cash-for-bail scam involving him.
Gali Janardhan Reddy and his brother-in-law B V Srinivsas Reddy, the managing director of the mining company, were arrested on September 5 last year from Bellary and brought to Hyderabad.
The CBI had filed a charge sheet against Janardhan Reddy and others on December 3 in OMC case.
OMC is accused of changing mining lease boundary markings between Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka and indulging in illegal mining in the Bellary Reserve Forest areas, spread between Bellary district of Karnataka and Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP