Court refuses bail to Gali Janardhan Reddy in OMC
Hyderabad: A special CBI court here on Monday dismissed the bail plea of mining baron and former Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, an accused in the illegal mining case involving his Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC).
This was the sixth bail petition of Gali Janardhan Reddy since his arrest in the OMC scam in September last year, which was again dismissed today.
Janardhan Reddy, a sitting MLC from Karnataka, presently under judicial remand in Chanchalguda Central Prison here, had last week moved the CBI court seeking to grant him bail to enable him to participate in the Assembly elections in that state, scheduled to be conducted next year.
However, the CBI, which strongly opposed his bail application, had contended that the investigations into the illegal mining case were still continuing and apprehended that if Janardhan Reddy was enlarged on bail, there was possibility of tampering of evidences and witnesses.
Janardhan Reddy is also an accused in connection with the cash-for-bail scam involving him.
Gali Janardhan Reddy and his brother-in-law B V Srinivsas Reddy, the managing director of the mining company, were arrested on September 5 last year from Bellary and brought to Hyderabad.
The CBI had filed a charge sheet against Janardhan Reddy and others on December 3 in OMC case.
OMC is accused of changing mining lease boundary markings between Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka and indulging in illegal mining in the Bellary Reserve Forest areas, spread between Bellary district of Karnataka and Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened