Court summons Owaisi on Feb 4 in another hate speech case
Hyderabad: In fresh trouble for jailed Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, a local court on Thursday took cognisance of a complaint against him for his alleged "hate speech" and issued summons directing him to appear before it on February 4.
The II Metropolitan Magistrate Court of L B Nagar took cognisance of a complaint filed by one Balam Ishwar Yadav after he saw a video online wherein Owaisi allegedly made a provocative speech against a particular community.
The petitioner earlier requested the court to take cognisance of the complaint rather than issuing a direction to the police and sought for issuance of summons.
He sought the court to take the matter itself under section 298 (uttering words with deliberate intent to hurt religious feelings) IPC after which the court ordered for issuance of summons against Akbaruddin asking him to appear before the court on February 4.
The court directed Meerpet police to serve the summons against Akbaruddin, who is presently lodged in Adilabad District Jail, Assistant Public Prosecutor L H Rajeshwar Rao told PTI.
Akbaruddin Owaisi, accused of sedition and criminal conspiracy for his "hate speech" was arrested from Gandhi Hospital here on January 8 and taken to Nirmal town of Adilabad district in connection with a case already registered by them against him.
Meanwhile, the Additional Judicial First Class Magistrate court in Nirmal town posted for tomorrow hearing on the police custody plea of Owaisi, leader of MIM legislature party in the legislative assembly, after the prosecution sought time for arguments on his counter application.
Final arguments and orders on Akbaruddin`s special prisoner status was also posted for tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video