CPI-M alleges Congress, BJP collusion over Telangana
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Wednesday alleged collusion between the Congress and the BJP over the way the Lok Sabha decided by voice vote to form a Telangana state.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist said the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill was adopted Tuesday "in an undemocratic way violating all norms and procedures".
It said "no debate took place on the bill and it was adopted in the din by a `voice vote`. The demand for a discussion made by some opposition parties was denied.
"All this was done in collusion between the Congress and the BJP," the party said.
"As the major opposition party, even though it is in favour of bifurcation, it was the BJP`s elementary responsibility to demand that a proper debate take place on the bill.
"However, it chose to go along with the Congress` violation of all parliamentary norms.
"The switching off of the live telecast of the proceedings in the house was a surreptitious move to prevent the people from seeing the undemocratic spectacle.
"The way the UPA government has conducted itself in the matter poses a threat to democracy and the federal principle," the CPI-M said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM