CPI-M alleges Congress, BJP collusion over Telangana
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Wednesday alleged collusion between the Congress and the BJP over the way the Lok Sabha decided by voice vote to form a Telangana state.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist said the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill was adopted Tuesday "in an undemocratic way violating all norms and procedures".
It said "no debate took place on the bill and it was adopted in the din by a `voice vote`. The demand for a discussion made by some opposition parties was denied.
"All this was done in collusion between the Congress and the BJP," the party said.
"As the major opposition party, even though it is in favour of bifurcation, it was the BJP`s elementary responsibility to demand that a proper debate take place on the bill.
"However, it chose to go along with the Congress` violation of all parliamentary norms.
"The switching off of the live telecast of the proceedings in the house was a surreptitious move to prevent the people from seeing the undemocratic spectacle.
"The way the UPA government has conducted itself in the matter poses a threat to democracy and the federal principle," the CPI-M said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown