Curfew in Andhra town to check anti-Telangana violence
Hyderabad: Situation remained tense in Vizianagaram town of coastal Andhra on Sunday despite indefinite curfew imposed by the police on Saturday night to control the violence, which broke out after Union Cabinet`s decision to divide the state.
Violating the curfew, people in some parts of the town took to the streets on Sunday morning and pelted stones on policemen. Police resorted to baton charge on a group of protestors, mainly the small traders at Kota Junction, about 700 km from Hyderabad.
Additional police and paramilitary forces were deployed in the home town of state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana, whose properties were damaged by the protestors during last two days, blaming him for the failure to stall state`s division.
With reports of students and protestors from Srikakulam and Visakhapatnam reaching the town, the police sealed the entry points. Security was further tightened at the residences and other properties of Satyanarayana and his family members.
The curfew was clamped after large-scale violence and arson for the second consecutive day on Saturday. The protestors set afire dozens of vehicles, public and private property. The streets turned into battle zone with protestors pelting stones on policemen at several places.
Police repeatedly baton charged the mob and used teargas shells but this failed to check the violence, forcing the authorities to impose curfew.
A police official said anti-social elements were indulging in violence and looting. He said the curfew would continue till the situation completely comes under control. Police arrested dozens of people indulging in violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader