Curfew in Andhra town to check anti-Telangana violence
Hyderabad: Situation remained tense in Vizianagaram town of coastal Andhra on Sunday despite indefinite curfew imposed by the police on Saturday night to control the violence, which broke out after Union Cabinet`s decision to divide the state.
Violating the curfew, people in some parts of the town took to the streets on Sunday morning and pelted stones on policemen. Police resorted to baton charge on a group of protestors, mainly the small traders at Kota Junction, about 700 km from Hyderabad.
Additional police and paramilitary forces were deployed in the home town of state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana, whose properties were damaged by the protestors during last two days, blaming him for the failure to stall state`s division.
With reports of students and protestors from Srikakulam and Visakhapatnam reaching the town, the police sealed the entry points. Security was further tightened at the residences and other properties of Satyanarayana and his family members.
The curfew was clamped after large-scale violence and arson for the second consecutive day on Saturday. The protestors set afire dozens of vehicles, public and private property. The streets turned into battle zone with protestors pelting stones on policemen at several places.
Police repeatedly baton charged the mob and used teargas shells but this failed to check the violence, forcing the authorities to impose curfew.
A police official said anti-social elements were indulging in violence and looting. He said the curfew would continue till the situation completely comes under control. Police arrested dozens of people indulging in violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Manchester United lacked identity under Louis van Gaal, says Cristiano Ronaldo
- Want to take more people of colour on my show: Aziz Ansari
- Twitter poll a prophecy? 61% of fans feel Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will sprint ahead 300 cr mark!
- Subramanian Swamy steps up attack on Raghuram Rajan, lists 6 'charges' against RBI Governor in letter to PM
- Shabbir Ahluwalia's romance locked dinner date with wife Kanchi Kaul – See pic