Curfew in AP town after communal trouble
Sangareddy: A curfew has been imposed
in Sangareddy town in Medak district on Friday, following a
communal clash which started after a picture of a religious
place was uploaded on a social networking site.
Trouble started after Pavan Kumar Muddiraj allegedly
uploaded photo of a religious place.
A complaint was lodged last night, saying that the photo
and its caption hurt religious feelings.
As the news spread, scores of others gathered at the
police station around mid-night and resorted to demonstration
and road-blockade demanding immediate arrest of the man.
There was also a confrontation between members of the two
communities near Government Junior College, which led to
stone-pelting. Vehicles were set ablaze, before police could
intervene and run off the mobs.
Stone-pelting took place this morning too, in which shops
and vehicles were damaged, even as authorities imposed curfew.
"The situation has calmed down and is under control and
peaceful," a senior police officer said, adding that efforts
to arrest Muddiraj were on.
Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabitha Indra Reddy
reviewed the situation at a meeting with senior police
officers in Hyderabad.
Andhra Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister C Damodhar Raja
Narasimha and local MLA, T Jaya Prakash Reddy visited the
Medak Collector Suresh Kumar held a meeting of peace
committee and appealed for peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest