Cyclone Laila: Normalcy returning to East Godavari in AP
Rajahmundry (Andhra Pradesh): Normalcy is returning to the cyclone-affected areas of East Godavari district, where restoration works are going on in full swing.
Rail traffic is being restored and some trains are running at a reduced speed due to water logging on tracks, an official of South Central Railway (SCR) said on Saturday.
"Some express and passenger trains reached their destinations late. The railway staff has taken the restoration work on a war footing," he said.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corp (APSRTC) has put buses on roads and highways which have been cleared of uprooted trees and electric poles, official sources said.
Since the weather conditions have improved, we expect some flights from Hyderabad and other parts of the state to land at Madurapudi Airport near here, airport officials said.
Collector M Ravichandra and Joint Collector K Sasidhar are visiting the cyclone-hit areas to enquire about relief and rehabilitation activities at relief camps.
Some of the cyclone-affected families, who had shifted to the camps, are returning home, they said, adding control rooms will continue to monitor the situation as heavy rains have been forecast in the next 24 hours.
"We are expecting normalcy to return in a day or two," they said, adding enumeration teams have started assessing the damage caused to standing crops and other properties.
"There was no scarcity of vegetables and essential commodities in the district," Sasidhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured