Cyclone Laila: Normalcy returning to East Godavari in AP
Rajahmundry (Andhra Pradesh): Normalcy is returning to the cyclone-affected areas of East Godavari district, where restoration works are going on in full swing.
Rail traffic is being restored and some trains are running at a reduced speed due to water logging on tracks, an official of South Central Railway (SCR) said on Saturday.
"Some express and passenger trains reached their destinations late. The railway staff has taken the restoration work on a war footing," he said.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corp (APSRTC) has put buses on roads and highways which have been cleared of uprooted trees and electric poles, official sources said.
Since the weather conditions have improved, we expect some flights from Hyderabad and other parts of the state to land at Madurapudi Airport near here, airport officials said.
Collector M Ravichandra and Joint Collector K Sasidhar are visiting the cyclone-hit areas to enquire about relief and rehabilitation activities at relief camps.
Some of the cyclone-affected families, who had shifted to the camps, are returning home, they said, adding control rooms will continue to monitor the situation as heavy rains have been forecast in the next 24 hours.
"We are expecting normalcy to return in a day or two," they said, adding enumeration teams have started assessing the damage caused to standing crops and other properties.
"There was no scarcity of vegetables and essential commodities in the district," Sasidhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV): A new tool in the fight against polio – Watch to know more about it!
- Planning a trip to USA? Check out top 5 attractions for a family holiday this summer!
- One killed in Sydney mall shooting
- Eva Mendes' brother Carlos loses cancer battle
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS