Cyclone Laila: Normalcy returning to East Godavari in AP
Rajahmundry (Andhra Pradesh): Normalcy is returning to the cyclone-affected areas of East Godavari district, where restoration works are going on in full swing.
Rail traffic is being restored and some trains are running at a reduced speed due to water logging on tracks, an official of South Central Railway (SCR) said on Saturday.
"Some express and passenger trains reached their destinations late. The railway staff has taken the restoration work on a war footing," he said.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corp (APSRTC) has put buses on roads and highways which have been cleared of uprooted trees and electric poles, official sources said.
Since the weather conditions have improved, we expect some flights from Hyderabad and other parts of the state to land at Madurapudi Airport near here, airport officials said.
Collector M Ravichandra and Joint Collector K Sasidhar are visiting the cyclone-hit areas to enquire about relief and rehabilitation activities at relief camps.
Some of the cyclone-affected families, who had shifted to the camps, are returning home, they said, adding control rooms will continue to monitor the situation as heavy rains have been forecast in the next 24 hours.
"We are expecting normalcy to return in a day or two," they said, adding enumeration teams have started assessing the damage caused to standing crops and other properties.
"There was no scarcity of vegetables and essential commodities in the district," Sasidhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert