Cyclone Nilam: Over 100 people rescued in AP
Visakhapatnam: Naval teams Monday rescued over 100 people from various villages in Visakhapatnam and West Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh who were trapped following heavy rains following cyclone `Nilam` last week.
28 relief teams, comprising nearly 60 divers of the Eastern Naval Command (ENC), rescued over 20 people from low-lying areas of Chodavaram, 60 from Padmanabham and 25 from Yelamnanchili while efforts are on to shift the marooned people to safety.
According to a release, the rescue operations in Nidadavole, Narsingapatnam and Padmanabham blocks have been completed and the teams are re-deployed in other affected areas.
So far, 2,100 people have been rescued since yesterday, the release said, adding over 1300 people were evacuated from Anakapalli and Munagapaka regions alone.
While a Seaking chopper had carried out a rescue operation in the region last evening, two Chetak helicopters and another Seaking of the Eastern Naval Command were pressed into service today for dropping of food packets in Anandapuram, Yadagiriplaem, Kumarapuram, Purushottamapuram and Ganaparthi villages under Munagapaka block and in Kummarapalli and Dimili villages under Rambilli block.
In addition, Control Posts at the Eastern Naval Command have been working in tandem with the state government in augmenting the ongoing search, rescue and relief efforts, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India