Cyclone Nilam: Over 100 people rescued in AP
Visakhapatnam: Naval teams Monday rescued over 100 people from various villages in Visakhapatnam and West Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh who were trapped following heavy rains following cyclone `Nilam` last week.
28 relief teams, comprising nearly 60 divers of the Eastern Naval Command (ENC), rescued over 20 people from low-lying areas of Chodavaram, 60 from Padmanabham and 25 from Yelamnanchili while efforts are on to shift the marooned people to safety.
According to a release, the rescue operations in Nidadavole, Narsingapatnam and Padmanabham blocks have been completed and the teams are re-deployed in other affected areas.
So far, 2,100 people have been rescued since yesterday, the release said, adding over 1300 people were evacuated from Anakapalli and Munagapaka regions alone.
While a Seaking chopper had carried out a rescue operation in the region last evening, two Chetak helicopters and another Seaking of the Eastern Naval Command were pressed into service today for dropping of food packets in Anandapuram, Yadagiriplaem, Kumarapuram, Purushottamapuram and Ganaparthi villages under Munagapaka block and in Kummarapalli and Dimili villages under Rambilli block.
In addition, Control Posts at the Eastern Naval Command have been working in tandem with the state government in augmenting the ongoing search, rescue and relief efforts, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling