Cyclone shelters to be managed local communities in AP
Hyderabad: In a novel initiative, the Andhra Pradesh government has decided to hand over the newly constructed Multi-Purpose Cyclone Shelters (MPCS) to local communities to ensure better management and maintenance.
This is to facilitate effective use of these shelters so that local communities like fishermen are equipped and involved in dealing with disasters like cyclones which hit coastal regions frequently, official sources said here.
Accordingly, the process of construction of shelters and handing over their management and maintenance to local communities is underway, state Disaster Management Commissioner T Radha said.
The Centre had earlier drawn up the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP) to be implemented in 13 coastal and island states/ Union Territories, including Andhra Pradesh, with the financial assistance of World Bank.
The project in Andhra involves construction of MPCS among others and the Centre had sanctioned 143 MPCS to be constructed in nine coastal districts of the state, sources said.
As 1,142 cyclone shelters built earlier were found to be in a dilapidated condition, unfit for human habitation, due to lack of management and maintenance, the state government proposed to have Community-based Cyclone Shelter Management, Maintenance Welfare Committees (CSMMWC), as suggested by the World Bank.
The CSMMWCs set up in Orissa have been found to be working efficiently and the Andhra Pradesh government has sent officials to Orissa to study their functioning.
The cyclone shelters would serve multiple purposes to local residents in normal times in the form of classrooms for schools, community centres for functions on a rental basis, `Aanganwadi` centres and artisan complexes, an integrated service delivery centre for activities like training programmes, health camps, welfare hostels and also disaster preparedness centres.
The state government recently issued a Government Order (GO) directing the Collectors of nine coastal districts to form CSMMWCs and the GO includes the by-laws and Memorandum of Association for formation of CSMMWC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason