Cyclonic storm `Thane` likely to intensify
Hyderabad: The cyclonic storm `Thane` over south-west and south-east Bay of Bengal is likely to move west-north-westwards and intensify into a severe cyclonic storm on Thursday.
The storm is likely to cross north Tamil Nadu and South
Andhra Pradesh coasts between Cuddalore and Nellore around the
morning of December 30, an official release said quoting a
bulletin issued by the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
`Thane` remained practically stationary and lay centered
at 0530 hrs today about 600 kms east-southeast of Chennai, it
According to the release, there would be rainfall at most
places with isolated heavy rains likely to commence over north
Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and south coastal Andhra Pradesh
from tomorrow onwards.
Squally winds at a speed of 45-55 kmpm are likely to
commence along and off north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south
Andhra Pradesh coasts from tomorrow morning onwards, it said.
Fishermen along north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south
Andhra Pradesh coasts are advised not to venture into the sea.
Those who are out at sea are urged to return to the coast, the
Extensive damage to thatched roofs and huts and minor
damage to power and communication lines due to uprooting of
large trees is expected, it said.
Collectors of coastal district, besides in Rayaalaseema
region have been alerted to take necessary steps to prevent
loss to life, cattle and property, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog