Cyclonic storm `Thane` likely to intensify
Hyderabad: The cyclonic storm `Thane` over south-west and south-east Bay of Bengal is likely to move west-north-westwards and intensify into a severe cyclonic storm on Thursday.
The storm is likely to cross north Tamil Nadu and South
Andhra Pradesh coasts between Cuddalore and Nellore around the
morning of December 30, an official release said quoting a
bulletin issued by the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
`Thane` remained practically stationary and lay centered
at 0530 hrs today about 600 kms east-southeast of Chennai, it
According to the release, there would be rainfall at most
places with isolated heavy rains likely to commence over north
Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and south coastal Andhra Pradesh
from tomorrow onwards.
Squally winds at a speed of 45-55 kmpm are likely to
commence along and off north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south
Andhra Pradesh coasts from tomorrow morning onwards, it said.
Fishermen along north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south
Andhra Pradesh coasts are advised not to venture into the sea.
Those who are out at sea are urged to return to the coast, the
Extensive damage to thatched roofs and huts and minor
damage to power and communication lines due to uprooting of
large trees is expected, it said.
Collectors of coastal district, besides in Rayaalaseema
region have been alerted to take necessary steps to prevent
loss to life, cattle and property, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption