DA case: Andhra High Court dismisses Jagan`s bail plea
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Thursday dismissed the regular bail petition of YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy in connection with an alleged disproportionate assets case involving him.
The AP High Court had on December 24 dismissed the statutory bail plea of Jagan.
The CBI had on January 22 alleged before the AP High Court that it was unable to speed up the investigation into Jaganmohan Reddy’s case owing to the non-cooperation of the state government.
Jagan`s counsel S Niranjan Reddy arguing for the bail had earlier complained that the investigation seemed to be never-ending and in the name of incomplete investigation the bail cannot be denied.
The CBI, however, contended that the bail petition was not maintainable in accordance with the apex court order, which had said that Jagan had the liberty to approach the trial court for bail after the filing of the final chargesheet.
On November 28, a special CBI court had dismissed his statutory bail petition observing that "granting bail at this stage of pending investigation will not only impede the investigation, but also infringe the avowed purpose set out by the Supreme Court in its order".
His second bail plea was also dismissed subsequently on December 4 after which Jagan moved the High Court and filed two bail petitions.
VANPIC project`s promoter (industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad) allegedly invested Rs 854 crore in the companies belonging to Jagan towards a largesse for which the then AP government, led by late YS Rajasekhara Reddy, doled out many favours in the form of awarding the project.
Jagan, who was arrested on May 27 this year by CBI on corruption charges, is presently under judicial remand and lodged at the Chanchalguda Central Prison here.
The central agency had submitted a progress report on the ongoing investigation into the alleged illegal assets of Kadapa MP to the Andhra Pradesh High Court on January 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone