DA case: Andhra High Court dismisses Jagan`s bail plea
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Thursday dismissed the regular bail petition of YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy in connection with an alleged disproportionate assets case involving him.
The AP High Court had on December 24 dismissed the statutory bail plea of Jagan.
The CBI had on January 22 alleged before the AP High Court that it was unable to speed up the investigation into Jaganmohan Reddy’s case owing to the non-cooperation of the state government.
Jagan`s counsel S Niranjan Reddy arguing for the bail had earlier complained that the investigation seemed to be never-ending and in the name of incomplete investigation the bail cannot be denied.
The CBI, however, contended that the bail petition was not maintainable in accordance with the apex court order, which had said that Jagan had the liberty to approach the trial court for bail after the filing of the final chargesheet.
On November 28, a special CBI court had dismissed his statutory bail petition observing that "granting bail at this stage of pending investigation will not only impede the investigation, but also infringe the avowed purpose set out by the Supreme Court in its order".
His second bail plea was also dismissed subsequently on December 4 after which Jagan moved the High Court and filed two bail petitions.
VANPIC project`s promoter (industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad) allegedly invested Rs 854 crore in the companies belonging to Jagan towards a largesse for which the then AP government, led by late YS Rajasekhara Reddy, doled out many favours in the form of awarding the project.
Jagan, who was arrested on May 27 this year by CBI on corruption charges, is presently under judicial remand and lodged at the Chanchalguda Central Prison here.
The central agency had submitted a progress report on the ongoing investigation into the alleged illegal assets of Kadapa MP to the Andhra Pradesh High Court on January 4.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata