DA case: CBI questions Jagan for second day
Hyderabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is questioning jailed YSR Congress Party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy for the second day on Monday in the illegal wealth case.
The CBI, which has got Jagan’s five-day custody, had questioned him yesterday also.
The questioning took place at the officer`s mess in the office of director general of prisons, adjoining Chanchalguda Central Jail, where Jagan is lodged since May 28.
The police have made elaborate security arrangements around the office of director general of police for the Kadapa MP’s questioning.
The CBI dropped its earlier plans to question Jagan either at its office in Koti or camp office at Dilkusha Guest House on Raj Bhavan road on security grounds.
Since both the offices are located in busy areas, the questioning may have caused inconvenience to public. The vehicular traffic around Dilkusha had gone haywire when the CBI earlier questioned Jagan for three days.
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had on Saturday sent Jagan to five-day custody of the CBI from June 3 to June 7. As per the direction of the court, the questioning has to be done between 10.30 am and 5 pm in the presence of two lawyers.
The CBI was also directed not to use third-degree methods during the questioning.
The agency questioned Jagan for three days before arresting him on May 27. It, however, told the court that he did not cooperate during the questioning and sought his custody for 10 days.
A team of CBI officials, led by joint director VV Lakshminarayana, is believed to be questioning Jagan about the investments made into his companies by various firms, including some based abroad.
Since the CBI gathered some information while questioning industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad, it wants to confront Jagan with the same.
The questioning will be mainly about Rs 840 crore investments made into Jagan`s companies by Vanpic, promoted by Prasad. Vanpic was allotted over 20,000 acres land in Guntur and Prakasam districts for two port projects and was given some other concessions.
Mopidevi Venkataramna, who as the then minister for investments and infrastructure had issued orders for land allotments and other concessions, was arrested by the CBI last month. He is currently in jail.
The CBI believes the funds were transferred to some briefcase companies in Luxembourg and Mauritius and routed back into Jagan`s firms through hawala channel.
The agency believes the investments were made on quid pro quo basis in return for favours doled out by the then government of Jagan`s father YS Rajasekhara Reddy.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset