DA case: Court allows plea to prosecute Dharmana, Mopidevi
Hyderabad: A special CBI court on Monday allowed a petition, seeking to prosecute a state minister and a former minister in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress Chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
Hearing the plea filed by CBI to prosecute Andhra Pradesh Roads and Buildings Minister Dharmana Prasada Rao and former minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao in the case, the court took cognisance of offences under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act to prosecute them.
The court further directed that Dharmana and Mopidevi should appear before it on January 31, CBI`s Deputy Legal Advsior Balla Ravindranath said.
The CBI had earlier filed a memo in the court urging it to take cognisance of offences under Section 13 (1) (d) read with 13 (2) of the PC Act against the two.
The agency had urged to take cognisance of the role of the duo without any sanction from the government to prosecute them.
Dharmana and Mopidevi, who was holding the Excise portfolio when he was arrested in May last year, are among the 14 chargesheeted accused in the Vanpic aspect of the assets case.
Mopidevi is presently under judicial custody.
The CBI has contended that sanction for prosecution against both the accused was not necessary and court may take cognisance of case against them under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Dharmana was Revenue Minister during YS Rajasekhara Reddy`s tenure in 2004-2009, when the `Vanpic Project` was conceived. Mopidevi was then Infrastructure Minister.
The CBI said as the two accused no more held the same portfolios, sanction for prosecution was not required.
Dharmana and Mopidevi are appearing in court for offences under Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the investigating agency had earlier said that both of them should be brought to book under PC Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore