DA case: Court allows plea to prosecute Dharmana, Mopidevi
Hyderabad: A special CBI court on Monday allowed a petition, seeking to prosecute a state minister and a former minister in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress Chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
Hearing the plea filed by CBI to prosecute Andhra Pradesh Roads and Buildings Minister Dharmana Prasada Rao and former minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao in the case, the court took cognisance of offences under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act to prosecute them.
The court further directed that Dharmana and Mopidevi should appear before it on January 31, CBI`s Deputy Legal Advsior Balla Ravindranath said.
The CBI had earlier filed a memo in the court urging it to take cognisance of offences under Section 13 (1) (d) read with 13 (2) of the PC Act against the two.
The agency had urged to take cognisance of the role of the duo without any sanction from the government to prosecute them.
Dharmana and Mopidevi, who was holding the Excise portfolio when he was arrested in May last year, are among the 14 chargesheeted accused in the Vanpic aspect of the assets case.
Mopidevi is presently under judicial custody.
The CBI has contended that sanction for prosecution against both the accused was not necessary and court may take cognisance of case against them under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Dharmana was Revenue Minister during YS Rajasekhara Reddy`s tenure in 2004-2009, when the `Vanpic Project` was conceived. Mopidevi was then Infrastructure Minister.
The CBI said as the two accused no more held the same portfolios, sanction for prosecution was not required.
Dharmana and Mopidevi are appearing in court for offences under Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the investigating agency had earlier said that both of them should be brought to book under PC Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen