DA case: HC dismisses Jaganmohan Reddy’s bail plea
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh High Court on Sunday dismissed the bail petition of YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy in connection with the case of alleged disproportionate assets involving him.
Jagan earlier moved the High court contending that he is entitled to bail as a matter of right in view of the fact that the CBI had not filed a charge sheet within the prescribed time.
However, opposing Jagan`s bail plea, the CBI had contended that the issue of statutory bail was argued at length in Supreme Court and the accused now cannot raise this issue once again.
The central agency had further informed the High Court that the Kadapa MP was arrested in a particular case of VANPIC deal alone and not yet in other aspects.
On November 28, a special CBI court had dismissed his statutory bail petition observing that "granting bail at this stage of pending investigation will not only impede the investigation, but also infringe the avowed purpose set out by the Supreme Court in its order".
His second bail plea was also dismissed subsequently on December 4 after which Jagan moved the High Court and filed two bail petitions.
VANPIC project`s promoter (industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad) allegedly invested Rs 854 crore in the companies belonging to Jagan towards a largesses for which the then AP government, led by late YS Rajasekhara Reddy, doled out many favours in the form of awarding the project.
Jagan, who was arrested on May 27 this year by CBI on corruption charges, is presently under judicial remand and lodged at the Chanchalguda Central Prison here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?