DA case: Jagan Reddy applies for bail
Hyderabad: A day after being sent to judicial remand, YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Tuesday moved a special CBI court here seeking bail.
The court posted the matter to May 31 after asking the central agency to file its counter.
Jagan was arrested by CBI on Sunday in connection with the disproportionate assets case registered against him and was yesterday remanded to judicial custody till June 11. He has been lodged at the Chanchalguda Central Prison here.
The Kadapa MP, who filed the bail plea through his counsel, requested that he be granted bail to enable him to campaign for the June 12 by-polls in the state for his party candidates, who are contesting in 18 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha constituency.
"My client (Jagan) is the lead campaigner in the election campaign on behalf of YSR Congress party and all candidates", Jagan`s counsel submitted.
In the bail plea, Jagan asserted the apprehension that he may interfere with any investigation was wholly "ill-founded and incorrect".
"The arrest (of Jagan) is malafide and the petitioner never interfered with any investigation or influenced any witness at any point of time. The arrest is illegal and is liable to be set aside", Jagan`s counsel further contended.
He said his client would be available as an when required by the investigation agency, if granted bail.
In another development, the Andhra Pradesh High Court permitted Jagan`s lawyers to file a quash petition tomorrow challenging the arrest by terming it as "illegal".
The High Court also allowed the CBI to file its petition seeking custody (of Jagan) before it tomorrow. While remanding Jagan to judicial custody till June 11, the CBI court had yesterday dismissed the agency`s plea seeking his custody.
Meanwhile, Jagan`s mother and MLA Y S Vijaya and his family members (including wife Bharati, sister Sharmila and brother-in-law Anil Kumar), besides his financial adviser and another accused in the case V Vijay Sai Reddy (now out on bail) met the YSR Congress chief in the jail.
After meeting Jagan, his sister Sharmila said, "He is cool and calm. He is a fighter".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected