DA case: Jagan Reddy applies for bail
Hyderabad: A day after being sent to judicial remand, YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Tuesday moved a special CBI court here seeking bail.
The court posted the matter to May 31 after asking the central agency to file its counter.
Jagan was arrested by CBI on Sunday in connection with the disproportionate assets case registered against him and was yesterday remanded to judicial custody till June 11. He has been lodged at the Chanchalguda Central Prison here.
The Kadapa MP, who filed the bail plea through his counsel, requested that he be granted bail to enable him to campaign for the June 12 by-polls in the state for his party candidates, who are contesting in 18 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha constituency.
"My client (Jagan) is the lead campaigner in the election campaign on behalf of YSR Congress party and all candidates", Jagan`s counsel submitted.
In the bail plea, Jagan asserted the apprehension that he may interfere with any investigation was wholly "ill-founded and incorrect".
"The arrest (of Jagan) is malafide and the petitioner never interfered with any investigation or influenced any witness at any point of time. The arrest is illegal and is liable to be set aside", Jagan`s counsel further contended.
He said his client would be available as an when required by the investigation agency, if granted bail.
In another development, the Andhra Pradesh High Court permitted Jagan`s lawyers to file a quash petition tomorrow challenging the arrest by terming it as "illegal".
The High Court also allowed the CBI to file its petition seeking custody (of Jagan) before it tomorrow. While remanding Jagan to judicial custody till June 11, the CBI court had yesterday dismissed the agency`s plea seeking his custody.
Meanwhile, Jagan`s mother and MLA Y S Vijaya and his family members (including wife Bharati, sister Sharmila and brother-in-law Anil Kumar), besides his financial adviser and another accused in the case V Vijay Sai Reddy (now out on bail) met the YSR Congress chief in the jail.
After meeting Jagan, his sister Sharmila said, "He is cool and calm. He is a fighter".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you