DA case: Supreme Court reserves order on Jagan`s bail plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday reserved its order on the bail plea of YSR Congress party leader YS Jaganomhan Reddy in a case of allegedly possessing illegal assets.
An apex court bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam reserved the order after hearing the arguments of both the Kadapa MP`s lawyer and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The investigating agency opposed the plea of Jagan, as the MP is popularly known, saying releasing him on bail at this stage would affect the investigations as he may influence the witnesses.
The CBI also informed the court that they required four-to-six months to complete the investigation.
Jagan, son of late Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, would complete one year in judicial custody May 27.
The CBI told the court that the investigation into `paper companies` in Mumbai, Kolkata and other places was continuing. It also said the crime involving dealings of thousands of crores of rupees extended to seven countries.
The federal agency clarified that its investigation had nothing to do with politics.
Arguing on behalf of Jagan, senior counsel Harish Salve accused the CBI of saying one thing in the high court and another in Supreme Court. He said the CBI was misleading the court and wondered how long his client would be kept in jail.
The apex court in October last year dismissed Jagan`s bail petition. His subsequent pleas were also dismissed by the trial court and the Andhra Pradesh high court.
Jagan was arrested by the CBI May 27 last year and charged with criminal conspiracy to attract investments into his companies on quid pro quo basis.
The probe agency said companies and individuals who made investments in Jagan`s companies were favoured by the government of Rajasekhara Reddy (2004-09).
Former state minister Mopidevi Venkatramna and industrialist Nimmagadda Prasad were among those arrested by the CBI.
Two ministers, including Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy, were named as accused in the CBI chargesheets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended