Dalit enclave in AP dist named after Suu Kyi
Papasanipally: A Dalit enclave in a hamlet in Anantapur district was on Saturday named by the villagers after Myanmar`s Opposition Leader Aung San Suu Kyi, prompting the Nobel Peace Laureate to wish them bright and `unusual` victories in future as befitting her name.
"My name means a broad collection of strange victories and I hope the village will have bright and unusual victories in future," she told the inhabitants, who had put up a huge banner with the new name to greet her.
Thanking them for their gesture, she reminded them that victory doesn`t come by itself. "You have to work hard for it," she added.
Andhra Pradesh Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy, who translated her remarks to Telugu, said Suu Kyi is an inspirational leader as she had spent 25 years in jail for the sake of democracy.
Before addressing the villagers, Suu Kyi met women members of Self Help Groups and got to know how the success of the SHG movement had changed their destiny and quality of life.
She also met Muddamma, a SHG member at her hamlet, who told her that the loan she had availed through the scheme had helped her strengthen her family`s financial position.
"I bought two cows with the loan which has helped sustain my family. Now I am in sound financial position," she said.
Suu Kyi was on a field visit vis-a-vis implementation of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGREGS) projects in Anantpur district.
She later interacted with people working under the MGREGS scheme at Govindapuram village and evinced keen interest in knowing how they were given employment which eventually helped them improve their living conditions.
Suu Kyi was accompanied by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31