Dalit enclave in AP dist named after Suu Kyi
Papasanipally: A Dalit enclave in a hamlet in Anantapur district was on Saturday named by the villagers after Myanmar`s Opposition Leader Aung San Suu Kyi, prompting the Nobel Peace Laureate to wish them bright and `unusual` victories in future as befitting her name.
"My name means a broad collection of strange victories and I hope the village will have bright and unusual victories in future," she told the inhabitants, who had put up a huge banner with the new name to greet her.
Thanking them for their gesture, she reminded them that victory doesn`t come by itself. "You have to work hard for it," she added.
Andhra Pradesh Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy, who translated her remarks to Telugu, said Suu Kyi is an inspirational leader as she had spent 25 years in jail for the sake of democracy.
Before addressing the villagers, Suu Kyi met women members of Self Help Groups and got to know how the success of the SHG movement had changed their destiny and quality of life.
She also met Muddamma, a SHG member at her hamlet, who told her that the loan she had availed through the scheme had helped her strengthen her family`s financial position.
"I bought two cows with the loan which has helped sustain my family. Now I am in sound financial position," she said.
Suu Kyi was on a field visit vis-a-vis implementation of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGREGS) projects in Anantpur district.
She later interacted with people working under the MGREGS scheme at Govindapuram village and evinced keen interest in knowing how they were given employment which eventually helped them improve their living conditions.
Suu Kyi was accompanied by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow