Dalit will be Telangana`s first chief minister, says TRS chief
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Sunday reiterated that his party would make a Dalit as its chief minister if it came to power in Telangana state.
Addressing a meet the press programme here, he made it clear that he would not be in the race for the chief minister`s post.
He, however, hinted that he may serve as chairman of the advisory committee to the state government to guide it in fulfilling the aspirations of the people.
He pointed out that backward classes, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and minorities constitute 85 percent of Telangana`s population (3.22 crore). Rao comes from Velama community, a forward caste in Telangana.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said TRS would play a role in rebuilding Telangana. "Only time will tell whether this will be a direct role or an indirect role," he said.
He declined to answer any queries on the possible merger of his party with Congress, saying TRS would announce its political strategy only after the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament.
He said he had his own doubts on the passage of Telangana bill in view of the past experience and also the fact that bill for women`s reservation and reservation in promotion for scheduled castes/tribes were still pending.
KCR promised 12 percent reservations to minorities in jobs and education as their population in Telangana would be higher than their existing population in Andhra Pradesh.
He assured that all steps would be taken for the promotion of Urdu. He said an autonomous body with judicial powers would be constituted for taking back Wakf properties encroached in Hyderabad and surrounding districts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'