Dalit will be Telangana`s first chief minister, says TRS chief
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Sunday reiterated that his party would make a Dalit as its chief minister if it came to power in Telangana state.
Addressing a meet the press programme here, he made it clear that he would not be in the race for the chief minister`s post.
He, however, hinted that he may serve as chairman of the advisory committee to the state government to guide it in fulfilling the aspirations of the people.
He pointed out that backward classes, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and minorities constitute 85 percent of Telangana`s population (3.22 crore). Rao comes from Velama community, a forward caste in Telangana.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said TRS would play a role in rebuilding Telangana. "Only time will tell whether this will be a direct role or an indirect role," he said.
He declined to answer any queries on the possible merger of his party with Congress, saying TRS would announce its political strategy only after the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament.
He said he had his own doubts on the passage of Telangana bill in view of the past experience and also the fact that bill for women`s reservation and reservation in promotion for scheduled castes/tribes were still pending.
KCR promised 12 percent reservations to minorities in jobs and education as their population in Telangana would be higher than their existing population in Andhra Pradesh.
He assured that all steps would be taken for the promotion of Urdu. He said an autonomous body with judicial powers would be constituted for taking back Wakf properties encroached in Hyderabad and surrounding districts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam