Dalit will be Telangana`s first chief minister, says TRS chief
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Sunday reiterated that his party would make a Dalit as its chief minister if it came to power in Telangana state.
Addressing a meet the press programme here, he made it clear that he would not be in the race for the chief minister`s post.
He, however, hinted that he may serve as chairman of the advisory committee to the state government to guide it in fulfilling the aspirations of the people.
He pointed out that backward classes, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and minorities constitute 85 percent of Telangana`s population (3.22 crore). Rao comes from Velama community, a forward caste in Telangana.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said TRS would play a role in rebuilding Telangana. "Only time will tell whether this will be a direct role or an indirect role," he said.
He declined to answer any queries on the possible merger of his party with Congress, saying TRS would announce its political strategy only after the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament.
He said he had his own doubts on the passage of Telangana bill in view of the past experience and also the fact that bill for women`s reservation and reservation in promotion for scheduled castes/tribes were still pending.
KCR promised 12 percent reservations to minorities in jobs and education as their population in Telangana would be higher than their existing population in Andhra Pradesh.
He assured that all steps would be taken for the promotion of Urdu. He said an autonomous body with judicial powers would be constituted for taking back Wakf properties encroached in Hyderabad and surrounding districts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list