Dalit will be Telangana`s first chief minister, says TRS chief
Hyderabad: Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Sunday reiterated that his party would make a Dalit as its chief minister if it came to power in Telangana state.
Addressing a meet the press programme here, he made it clear that he would not be in the race for the chief minister`s post.
He, however, hinted that he may serve as chairman of the advisory committee to the state government to guide it in fulfilling the aspirations of the people.
He pointed out that backward classes, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and minorities constitute 85 percent of Telangana`s population (3.22 crore). Rao comes from Velama community, a forward caste in Telangana.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said TRS would play a role in rebuilding Telangana. "Only time will tell whether this will be a direct role or an indirect role," he said.
He declined to answer any queries on the possible merger of his party with Congress, saying TRS would announce its political strategy only after the passage of Telangana bill in Parliament.
He said he had his own doubts on the passage of Telangana bill in view of the past experience and also the fact that bill for women`s reservation and reservation in promotion for scheduled castes/tribes were still pending.
KCR promised 12 percent reservations to minorities in jobs and education as their population in Telangana would be higher than their existing population in Andhra Pradesh.
He assured that all steps would be taken for the promotion of Urdu. He said an autonomous body with judicial powers would be constituted for taking back Wakf properties encroached in Hyderabad and surrounding districts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India