Day-long bandh to protest creation of separate Telangana
Hyderabad: Widespread protests broke
out in non-Telangana regions observing a day-long bandh on Friday
to protest the division of the state with agitators damaging
buses, staging demonstrations and resorting to road blockades.
In East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, TDP and
Congress activists accompanied by students shouted slogans
against TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, demanding a united
Agitators burnt effigies of Congress President Sonia
Gandhi and state Chief Minister K Rosaiah here. The day-long
`Samkhya Andhra bandh` has called by agitators in Andhra and
Incidents of stoning buses were reported from coastal
Andhra region and protestors took to streets and damaged a
Bhadrachalam-bound bus and obstructed ONGC workers at
Amalapuram town in East Godavari district.
They also set afire bus tyres on the national highway
here to disrupt traffic movement in the district, reports from
All educational institutes and business establishments
remained closed in East Godavari district. Andhra Pradesh
State Road Transport (APSRTC) cancelled transport services of
over 800 buses here as a precautionary measure.
Rail traffic in some parts of the coastal Andhra and
Rayalseema was also affected due to bandh and security has
been beefed up to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- No confirmation on meeting with Manohar Parrikar on OROP: Ex-servicemen
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends