Dead YSR Congress candidate Shobha Reddy elected
Hyderabad: A candidate of YSR Congress Party (YSRCP), who died in a road accident during the campaigning, was elected to Andhra Pradesh Assembly from Allagadda in Kurnool district.
Bhuma Shobha Nagi Reddy, who died two weeks before the elections, was declared elected. The Election Commission will now hold a by-election for this assembly seat in Seemandhra.
The YSRCP candidate won the seat by defeating her nearest rival G Prabhakar Reddy of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) by nearly 18,000 votes.
A key leader of the YSRCP, 46-year-old Shobha died in a car crash in her constituency April 24. However, the Election Commission did not countermand the election as YSR Congress is not a recognized party.
Since her name was already included on the ballot paper, the poll panel clarified that she remained a contesting candidate and if she gets elected, a by-election will be held.
The clarification came as some poll officials were earlier quoted as saying that the votes polled for the deceased candidate will be treated as votes cast for NOTA (None of the above) option.
One of the officials had also stated that even if the deceased gets highest number of votes, the candidate with maximum number of votes among the remaining contestants will be declared elected.
YSRCP has bagged 63 seats in 175 member assembly in Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Cricket reforms: BCCI submits Compliance Report to Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha panel
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!
- Tamil Nadu cricketers picked for Duleep Trophy can play in TN Premier T20 League: BCCI