Dead YSR Congress candidate Shobha Reddy elected
Hyderabad: A candidate of YSR Congress Party (YSRCP), who died in a road accident during the campaigning, was elected to Andhra Pradesh Assembly from Allagadda in Kurnool district.
Bhuma Shobha Nagi Reddy, who died two weeks before the elections, was declared elected. The Election Commission will now hold a by-election for this assembly seat in Seemandhra.
The YSRCP candidate won the seat by defeating her nearest rival G Prabhakar Reddy of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) by nearly 18,000 votes.
A key leader of the YSRCP, 46-year-old Shobha died in a car crash in her constituency April 24. However, the Election Commission did not countermand the election as YSR Congress is not a recognized party.
Since her name was already included on the ballot paper, the poll panel clarified that she remained a contesting candidate and if she gets elected, a by-election will be held.
The clarification came as some poll officials were earlier quoted as saying that the votes polled for the deceased candidate will be treated as votes cast for NOTA (None of the above) option.
One of the officials had also stated that even if the deceased gets highest number of votes, the candidate with maximum number of votes among the remaining contestants will be declared elected.
YSRCP has bagged 63 seats in 175 member assembly in Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan