Death toll in Manikonda fire in AP rises to seven
Hyderabad: The toll in the fire mishap at a residential apartment near Manikonda here rose to seven after a 39-year-old woman succumbed to burn injuries in the early hours on Tuesday, police said.
G Anantha Padma, who had sustained over 60 per cent burn injuries in the incident, died at around 5.50 this morning while undergoing treatment at a hospital, they said.
The incident had occurred at Puppalguda under Rajendranagar mandal on Sunday night when the blaze, which started from a makeshift shed erected by a local shooting unit, engulfed a nearby residential apartment, claiming the lives of six persons, including a 10-day-old baby.
Andhra Pradesh government had yesterday directed the State Disaster Response and Fire Services Department to conduct an inquiry into the Manikonda fire incident.
Narsingi police, who had yesterday registered a case against Vijay Kumar, the owner of the make-shift godown shed where the fire started, said they were continuing with the investigation and no arrests were made so far.
The shed was used for storing film-shooting equipment, and the plastic material dumped near the film and TV serial shooting sets caught fire first, according to the police.
The fire, suspected to be caused by a short-circuit, engulfed the first three-floors of the five-storeyed apartment even as fire department personnel rescued 15 persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city