‘Declare Cyclone Nilam a national calamity’
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party on Saturday urged the Centre to declare the recent Nilam cyclone, which played havoc and caused large-scale damage, as a national calamity.
The party`s politburo, which met in Putta Pahad village in the neighbouring Rangareddy district where TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu is undertaking a `padayatra` (foot march) also demanded the Government to announce compensation of Rs 10,000 per acre of crop damaged due to cyclone, Kadiam Srihari, former minister and TDP politburo member said.
The politburo also demanded that the state government should increase the ex-gratia amount for the families of the deceased to Rs 5 lakh each, he said.
TDP said the government should take up rehabilitation measures on war footing.
The party also demanded the Government to hold election to local bodies immediately so as to get the benefits under various central schemes, he added.
Srihari said the party also passed `Tribal Declaration`, which proclaims that every tribal `tanda` (hamlet) be declared a village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test