Deliberations on Telangana gain momentum
New Delhi: Deliberations on the vexed Telangana issue appeared to have gained momentum with Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi and key ministers, fuelling speculation that a decision may be on the cards.
Narasimhan`s meeting with Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and other ministers come at a time in the midst of speculation that Congress could take a decisive stand on the issue.
The Governor kicked-off a series of meetings yesterday with a 45-minute discussion with Gandhi at her residence, which was described as a "courtesy call".
Though it has been almost a routine for Narasimhan to meet Gandhi whenever he visits Delhi, yesterday`s meeting is seen in political circles in the context of reports that a resolution to the Telangana tangle may be around the corner.
The meeting also came three days after Gandhi deliberated the issue with her senior party colleagues and Union Ministers who have been dealing with the issue since 2009 when the Government did a U-turn after promising Telangana.
Today, Narasimhan met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, also the Congress General Secretary in-charge of Andhra Pradesh, and MoS in PMO V Narayanasamy.
The meetings were described as "courtesy calls" and the Governor did not respond to media queries about the nature of his discussions.
However, sources said the Telangana issue was not discussed at the Congress Core Group meeting today.
The talk in Congress was the party was possibly moving on the issue in the light of the situation caused by the emergence of YSR Congress that has made deep inroads into its base. Speculation gained further credence with TRS chief K Chandrashekar Rao camping in the capital for the past few weeks and is believed to have met some Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand