Deliberations on Telangana gain momentum
New Delhi: Deliberations on the vexed Telangana issue appeared to have gained momentum with Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi and key ministers, fuelling speculation that a decision may be on the cards.
Narasimhan`s meeting with Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and other ministers come at a time in the midst of speculation that Congress could take a decisive stand on the issue.
The Governor kicked-off a series of meetings yesterday with a 45-minute discussion with Gandhi at her residence, which was described as a "courtesy call".
Though it has been almost a routine for Narasimhan to meet Gandhi whenever he visits Delhi, yesterday`s meeting is seen in political circles in the context of reports that a resolution to the Telangana tangle may be around the corner.
The meeting also came three days after Gandhi deliberated the issue with her senior party colleagues and Union Ministers who have been dealing with the issue since 2009 when the Government did a U-turn after promising Telangana.
Today, Narasimhan met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Finance Minister P Chidambaram, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, also the Congress General Secretary in-charge of Andhra Pradesh, and MoS in PMO V Narayanasamy.
The meetings were described as "courtesy calls" and the Governor did not respond to media queries about the nature of his discussions.
However, sources said the Telangana issue was not discussed at the Congress Core Group meeting today.
The talk in Congress was the party was possibly moving on the issue in the light of the situation caused by the emergence of YSR Congress that has made deep inroads into its base. Speculation gained further credence with TRS chief K Chandrashekar Rao camping in the capital for the past few weeks and is believed to have met some Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India