Development only if Andhra remains united: Chiranjeevi
Tirupati: Praja Rajyam Party president K
Chiranjeevi on Friday asserted that development is possible only
if Andhra Pradesh remained united.
Chiranjeevi, who resigned as an MLA yesterday, visited
this temple town, which is also his assembly constituency, to
launch his tour of Andhra and Rayalaseema regions in support
of a unified state.
He drove straight to Tirumala hills after landing in
Renigunta airport and pay obeisance to Lord Venkateswara.
He then visited the relay hunger-strike camps where
students of Sri Venkateswara University were sitting on fast
for the past six days protesting against the state`s proposed
He expressed solidarity with the fasting students and
vowed to fight for a unified Andhra Pradesh.
Chiranjeevi said majority of the people of the state
were strongly opposing the bifurcation. "As a political party,
we respect the people`s will. Accordingly, we have decided to
change our party stand on the Telangana issue and extend
support for united Andhra Pradesh," Chiranjeevi said.
He alleged that demand for creation of Telangana state
was being raised only by some political vested interests.
"Some people are seeking political gains by pitching
for division of the state," he said in an oblique reference to
Telangana Rashtra Samiti president K Chandrasekhar Rao.
The PRP president will fly to Visakhapatnam from
Chennai tomorrow morning and continue his tour of coastal
Andhra before entering into Rayalaseema towards the end of
this month, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends