`Development` remark irks Telangana leaders
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders from Telangana have taken strong exception to some of the remarks made by members of the Srikrishna Committee.
Senior TDP leader and convenor of TDP Telangana Forum Nagam Janardhan Reddy said Saturday the remarks were provocative and have hurt the sentiments of the Telangana people.
"Some members of the committee were quoted as saying that Muslims and Christians want development. Yes, they want development, but in a separate state of Telanagana," he told reporters.
The former minister warned that if the Srikrishna Committee recommended against formation of a Telangana state, the region will erupt in protests. "If the report is against Telangana, then the entire region will turn into a ball of fire Jan 6 evening because people want nothing less than a separate state," Reddy stressed.
According to him, TDP leaders from the region are ready to make any sacrifice to achieve Telangana state. He denied reports in a section of the media that he had resigned as convenor of the TDP Telangana Forum.
The party legislators said that TDP will become a national party after the formation of Telangana state.
The five-member Srikrishna Committee headed by former Supreme Court Justice BN Srikrishna Thursday submitted its report to the central government. The report will be made public Jan 6 after union Home Minister P Chidambaram`s meeting with political party leaders.
The committee was constituted by the central government in February last year after series of agitations for and against a separate Telangana state rocked Andhra Pradesh.
Various groups fighting for a Telangana state and leaders of the Congress and the TDP from the region are urging the central government to abide by its Dec 9, 2009, statement to initiate the process for formation of a Telangana state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India