Devotees mark Sathya Sai`s birth anniversary
Hyderabad: Devotees from various parts of the state and country have gathered at Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh`s Anantapur district to celebrate the 86th birth anniversary of the late spiritual guru Sathya Sai Baba on Wednesday.
Devotees had started pouring into the town last week, the first time since his demise in April.
Sathya Sai Central Trust, which manages the vast spiritual empire, has made elaborate arrangements for the event at Prashanti Nilayam, which houses the samadhi of Sai Baba.
The week-long celebrations began last Friday with Rathothsavam, attended by a large number of pilgrims.
As a prelude to the celebrations, a 24-hour continuous devotional singing was held on November 13.
According to the trust, Akhand Bhajan was started in 1944 by Sai Baba and is now conducted every year around the same time at Sai centres all over India and in 126 countries.
Students from Sri Sathya Sai Educational Institutions presented a 45-minute musical drama entitled `Sri Rama Nama Amrutham` last Thursday evening.
Women`s day celebrations were held on Saturday to mark the birth anniversary celebrations of Sai Baba`s mother.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah is expected to attend the birth anniversary celebrations today.
President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had attended the last birthday celebrations of the spiritual leader. Sathya Sai Baba died on April 25 this year at the age of 85.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY