Devotees mark Sathya Sai`s birth anniversary
Hyderabad: Devotees from various parts of the state and country have gathered at Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh`s Anantapur district to celebrate the 86th birth anniversary of the late spiritual guru Sathya Sai Baba on Wednesday.
Devotees had started pouring into the town last week, the first time since his demise in April.
Sathya Sai Central Trust, which manages the vast spiritual empire, has made elaborate arrangements for the event at Prashanti Nilayam, which houses the samadhi of Sai Baba.
The week-long celebrations began last Friday with Rathothsavam, attended by a large number of pilgrims.
As a prelude to the celebrations, a 24-hour continuous devotional singing was held on November 13.
According to the trust, Akhand Bhajan was started in 1944 by Sai Baba and is now conducted every year around the same time at Sai centres all over India and in 126 countries.
Students from Sri Sathya Sai Educational Institutions presented a 45-minute musical drama entitled `Sri Rama Nama Amrutham` last Thursday evening.
Women`s day celebrations were held on Saturday to mark the birth anniversary celebrations of Sai Baba`s mother.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah is expected to attend the birth anniversary celebrations today.
President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had attended the last birthday celebrations of the spiritual leader. Sathya Sai Baba died on April 25 this year at the age of 85.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad