Devotees mark Sathya Sai`s birth anniversary
Hyderabad: Devotees from various parts of the state and country have gathered at Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh`s Anantapur district to celebrate the 86th birth anniversary of the late spiritual guru Sathya Sai Baba on Wednesday.
Devotees had started pouring into the town last week, the first time since his demise in April.
Sathya Sai Central Trust, which manages the vast spiritual empire, has made elaborate arrangements for the event at Prashanti Nilayam, which houses the samadhi of Sai Baba.
The week-long celebrations began last Friday with Rathothsavam, attended by a large number of pilgrims.
As a prelude to the celebrations, a 24-hour continuous devotional singing was held on November 13.
According to the trust, Akhand Bhajan was started in 1944 by Sai Baba and is now conducted every year around the same time at Sai centres all over India and in 126 countries.
Students from Sri Sathya Sai Educational Institutions presented a 45-minute musical drama entitled `Sri Rama Nama Amrutham` last Thursday evening.
Women`s day celebrations were held on Saturday to mark the birth anniversary celebrations of Sai Baba`s mother.
Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah is expected to attend the birth anniversary celebrations today.
President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had attended the last birthday celebrations of the spiritual leader. Sathya Sai Baba died on April 25 this year at the age of 85.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons