Disabled Indian worker in Bahrain returns home after 9 years
Dubai: A 49-year-old disabled Indian worker in Bahrain, who overstayed on his visit visa, has finally returned home to reunite with his family after nearly nine years.
Chepyala Satyanarayana from Andhra Pradesh had arrived in Bahrain on a visit-visa in March, 2005 and was doing odd jobs but after suffering a stroke in 2011, he was completely paralysed.
Even after receiving treatment at a medical college, he was left bound to the wheel-chair, forcing him to beg on the streets to make ends meet, local media reported.
Satyanarayana, who has two children, had not seen his family for nearly nine years.
His case was brought to light in an open-house meet at the Indian Embassy in Bahrain in the last week of December 2013, First Secretary Ram Singh told.
The Indian Community Relief Fund (ICRF), an embassy-aided organisation, brought his case to the open-house meet with the Ambassador, Singh said.
Embassy`s follow-up coordinator Clifford Correia campaigned with Bahraini immigration authorities for reducing the 8,000 Bahraini dinars fine imposed on Satyanarayana for violating visa regulations.
"He overstayed on visit visa for eight years that led to fines of about 8,000 Bahraini dinars," Correia said.
He said the Nationality, Passport and Residence Affairs agreed to drastically slash the fine on humanitarian grounds.
The ICRF managed to pay the reduced fine of 1,000 dinars and with the help of the Indian Embassy, sent Satyanarayana home on Saturday, Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof