Disabled Indian worker in Bahrain returns home after 9 years
Dubai: A 49-year-old disabled Indian worker in Bahrain, who overstayed on his visit visa, has finally returned home to reunite with his family after nearly nine years.
Chepyala Satyanarayana from Andhra Pradesh had arrived in Bahrain on a visit-visa in March, 2005 and was doing odd jobs but after suffering a stroke in 2011, he was completely paralysed.
Even after receiving treatment at a medical college, he was left bound to the wheel-chair, forcing him to beg on the streets to make ends meet, local media reported.
Satyanarayana, who has two children, had not seen his family for nearly nine years.
His case was brought to light in an open-house meet at the Indian Embassy in Bahrain in the last week of December 2013, First Secretary Ram Singh told.
The Indian Community Relief Fund (ICRF), an embassy-aided organisation, brought his case to the open-house meet with the Ambassador, Singh said.
Embassy`s follow-up coordinator Clifford Correia campaigned with Bahraini immigration authorities for reducing the 8,000 Bahraini dinars fine imposed on Satyanarayana for violating visa regulations.
"He overstayed on visit visa for eight years that led to fines of about 8,000 Bahraini dinars," Correia said.
He said the Nationality, Passport and Residence Affairs agreed to drastically slash the fine on humanitarian grounds.
The ICRF managed to pay the reduced fine of 1,000 dinars and with the help of the Indian Embassy, sent Satyanarayana home on Saturday, Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside