Divided family pays tributes to NTR
Hyderabad: Rich tributes were paid to Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister NT Rama Rao on his 16th death anniversary on Wednesday.
NTR, as he was popularly called, was an actor-turned-politician and one of the most popular leaders in the state`s history. The growing differences between the family members of NTR were evident on the occasion as they paid their tributes separately at NTR Ghat on the banks of the Hussain Sagar Lake here.
NTR`s son-in-law and TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, his wife Bhuvaneswari and their son Lokesh paid tributes. They along with several TDP leaders participated in an all-religion prayer meeting.
NTR`s sons N Balakrishna and N Harikishna also paid tributes separately amid reports of a power tussle between the families of Naidu and NTR and also among the members of NTR`s family.
Balakrishna, whose daughter is married to Naidu`s son Lokesh, had last week announced that he is ready to contest the elections.
Balaiah, as he is popularly called, said he would contest for the Assembly in the next elections. "It is for the party leadership to decide," he quipped when asked about the constituency he would be contesting from.
To a question, he denied that he is trying to be a successor to NTR`s political legacy. "We will all work together under the leadership of Chandrababu Naidu to bring the party back to power," said the actor, who also denied differences among family members.
Earlier, Balakrishna`s elder brother Harikrishna, who is the TDP politburo member, paid tributes to NTR. He was accompanied by his son and popular actor junior NTR.
Harikrishna, who wants Junior NTR to take the reins of the party, had openly expressed his displeasure over Naidu`s attempts to project his son Lokesh as his political successor at the party conclave in May last year.
Talking to reporters, Junior NTR said it was the duty of every family member and TDP leader to work for fulfilling the ideals of the party founder.
Junior NTR, who had campaigned for TDP in the 2009 elections, has since distanced himself from the party.
When asked if he would try to bring his sister D Purandeswari to the TDP or woo back Junior NTR, Balakrishna said it was for them to decide. "I will welcome whoever wants to join us in serving the people," he remarked.
Purandeswari is a Congress leader and is currently a junior minister in the Central government. Her husband D Venkateshwara Rao and NTR`s second wife Lakshmi Parvathi also paid homage separately.
Parvathi told reporters at NTR Ghat that N Balakrishna`s entry into electoral politics would not help restore the glory of TDP.
"As long as Chandrababu Naidu is leading the party, it can`t regain lost ground. People have distanced from TDP because the party has deviated from the ideals of NTR," she said.
She also alleged that Naidu has hatched a conspiracy to hand over the reins of the party to his son.
NTR had died of cardiac arrest in January 1996, a few months after Naidu ousted him from power in view of the alleged growing interference by Lakshmi Parvathi in the party and administration.
NTR, a popular Telugu actor, had launched the TDP in 1982 on the slogan of Telugu self-respect and created a record of sorts by coming to power within nine months, ending the single party rule of the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow