`Division of Andhra Pradesh not acceptable`
New Delhi: Vowing he would do anything for a united Andhra Pradesh, L Rajagopal, a Congress MP from Vijayawada, Sunday said the division of the coastal state for a proposed Telangana would not be allowed.
"We will not allow the division of Andhra Pradesh. Why should Andhra be divided?" Rajagopal told reporters here.
Rajagopal and 130 legislators from the state Assembly had submitted their resignations in protest against the Central government`s nod to creation of a separate Telangana state. A final decision on initiating the process of statehood has been apparently delayed.
"The situation in Andhra Pradesh is very disturbing," Rajagopal said voicing his concern.
"Now I have decided to join the movement (against division of the state). Hyderabad (which is proposed to be the capital of Telangana, when created) is the mother and the 22 districts of Andhra Pradesh are her children. We will not betray our mother," he said.
"I wish that peace prevails in the state and that Telugu-speaking people the world over and in Andhra Pradesh come and demonstrate their unity," the Congress MP said, adding he was proud to be working under the leadership of party president Sonia Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family