`Division of Andhra Pradesh not acceptable`
New Delhi: Vowing he would do anything for a united Andhra Pradesh, L Rajagopal, a Congress MP from Vijayawada, Sunday said the division of the coastal state for a proposed Telangana would not be allowed.
"We will not allow the division of Andhra Pradesh. Why should Andhra be divided?" Rajagopal told reporters here.
Rajagopal and 130 legislators from the state Assembly had submitted their resignations in protest against the Central government`s nod to creation of a separate Telangana state. A final decision on initiating the process of statehood has been apparently delayed.
"The situation in Andhra Pradesh is very disturbing," Rajagopal said voicing his concern.
"Now I have decided to join the movement (against division of the state). Hyderabad (which is proposed to be the capital of Telangana, when created) is the mother and the 22 districts of Andhra Pradesh are her children. We will not betray our mother," he said.
"I wish that peace prevails in the state and that Telugu-speaking people the world over and in Andhra Pradesh come and demonstrate their unity," the Congress MP said, adding he was proud to be working under the leadership of party president Sonia Gandhi.
- Meet Tommy Singh aka Shahid Kapoor in 'Chitta Ve' from 'Udta Punjab'—Watch!
- IIT-Bombay survey: 95% freshers never had sex, 75% have no problem with homosexuality
- WATCH: Ugly fight between Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina during ODI match vs West Indies
- Lenovo Vibe S1 gets Android 6.0 Marshmallow update
- 'Uncle, please send my sister's rapists to jail'- 16-year-old boy writes to PM Narendra Modi seeking justice for his minor sibling