Doctor shouts pro-Telangana slogan at event attended by Prez
Hyderabad: A senior doctor was taken into custody by the police here on Thursday after he allegedly shouted `Jai Telangana` (victory to Telangana) at a function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee.
He was identified as Dr Narender Reddy, a resident of Kachiguda area here.
Reddy, who was sitting among the delegates, said `Jai Telangana` in a rather feeble voice when Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy rose to speak at the inauguration of the Asia-Pacific Ophthalmology Congress this evening. The President was on the dais then.
"We took him into preventive custody under section 151 of Criminal Procedure Code and later let him off on personal bail," Madapur DCP Yoganand said.
Reddy had retired as an assistant professor at Sarojini Eye Hospital here, and had been working at a private medical college in Mahbubnagar for the past few years, police said. >>
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured