Doctor shouts pro-Telangana slogan at event attended by Prez
Hyderabad: A senior doctor was taken into custody by the police here on Thursday after he allegedly shouted `Jai Telangana` (victory to Telangana) at a function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee.
He was identified as Dr Narender Reddy, a resident of Kachiguda area here.
Reddy, who was sitting among the delegates, said `Jai Telangana` in a rather feeble voice when Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy rose to speak at the inauguration of the Asia-Pacific Ophthalmology Congress this evening. The President was on the dais then.
"We took him into preventive custody under section 151 of Criminal Procedure Code and later let him off on personal bail," Madapur DCP Yoganand said.
Reddy had retired as an assistant professor at Sarojini Eye Hospital here, and had been working at a private medical college in Mahbubnagar for the past few years, police said. >>
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000