Don`t take literal meaning of comment: Andhra MLA to babus
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh minister TG Venkatesh, whose comment that non-performing babus should be shot dead angered bureaucrats, Monday said the spirit of his comments should be taken and not their literal meaning.
Clarifying his remarks made in his native Kurnool district, the minor irrigation minister explained how he was upset when a group of farmers threatened to consume pesticide when their urgent agriculture needs are not met.
"I was in that mood that day. I lost my temper. We are spending so much money for agriculture and irrigation. Still, if we are not able to help the farmers, then naturally I will be in a different mood," he told a news agency.
The IAS Officers` Association had taken strong exception to Venkatesh`s reported remarks that non-performing bureaucrats should be killed.
"Loose talk of mob justice by the honourable minister lowers the dignity of his own office, demoralizes the bureaucracy and brings down the image of the government," the association had said in a statement last Saturday.
Venkatesh observed that bureaucrats and politicians are like two eyes in the system and both should be made to perform their duties for the benefit of common people.
"The bureaucrats and politicians both have a very important role to play. The non-performing persons are definitely not doing justice. The question of corruption comes later. They (officials) need not go deep into it. We can leave it at that. They should take the spirit of what I said. Work should be done (for the people)," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note