Don`t take literal meaning of comment: Andhra MLA to babus
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh minister TG Venkatesh, whose comment that non-performing babus should be shot dead angered bureaucrats, Monday said the spirit of his comments should be taken and not their literal meaning.
Clarifying his remarks made in his native Kurnool district, the minor irrigation minister explained how he was upset when a group of farmers threatened to consume pesticide when their urgent agriculture needs are not met.
"I was in that mood that day. I lost my temper. We are spending so much money for agriculture and irrigation. Still, if we are not able to help the farmers, then naturally I will be in a different mood," he told a news agency.
The IAS Officers` Association had taken strong exception to Venkatesh`s reported remarks that non-performing bureaucrats should be killed.
"Loose talk of mob justice by the honourable minister lowers the dignity of his own office, demoralizes the bureaucracy and brings down the image of the government," the association had said in a statement last Saturday.
Venkatesh observed that bureaucrats and politicians are like two eyes in the system and both should be made to perform their duties for the benefit of common people.
"The bureaucrats and politicians both have a very important role to play. The non-performing persons are definitely not doing justice. The question of corruption comes later. They (officials) need not go deep into it. We can leave it at that. They should take the spirit of what I said. Work should be done (for the people)," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended