Dynasty, megabucks and finally jail for Jagan
Hyderabad: From a small-time businessman to a formidable political leader, YS Jaganmohan Reddy -- better known as Jagan -- had a rather smooth ride for over a decade before hitting one bump after another and finally finding himself in CBI`s custody.
The only son of late Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh YS Rajasekhara Reddy, Jagan began his business career in 1999-2000 by establishing a tiny power company Sandur in neighbouring Karnataka and then expanding it to the north- eastern states.
His business graph rose meteorically once his father became the state Chief Minister in 2004 and Jagan started venturing into many other businesses including cement plants, infrastructure and media.
39-year-old Jagan`s political ambitions were first revealed in late 2004 when he aspired to become an MP from his home turf Kadapa but the Congress high command nipped that in the bud.
He had to wait till 2009 to fulfil his dream and make a formal political debut by winning the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat.
His father`s tragic death in a helicopter crash in September 2009, literally changed everything for Jagan.
He wanted to succeed his late father to the Chief Minister`s throne but the Congress high command was unwilling to grant him the wish despite a majority of legislators rallying behind him.
Disillusioned, Jagan gradually began defying the Congress bosses and, by early 2010 was meticulously charting his own course.
He took the `Odarpu Yatra` path to build his political career independently, much to the discomfiture of the ruling party.
Jagan`s emergence as a leader began with the Odarpu Yatra as he went round villages and districts to console families that lost their kin in the aftermath of YSR`s sudden death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch