EC pulls up TRS chief over remarks against AP Home Minister
Hyderabad: The Election Commission Thursday expressed strong displeasure over the alleged comments made by TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao against Andhra Pradesh Home Minister P Sabita Reddy and other leaders during the campaign for by-elections to 12 Assembly seats in Telangana.
"The Commission has considered the matter and was not satisfied with his explanation and is of considered view that he, being the President of an important political party, ought to have been more restrained while making comments about the leaders of rival parties," a statement issued by the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) I V Subba Rao said here.
The TRS President was served a show-cause notice by the EC on July 25 for allegedly using derogatory language against the Home Minister.
"He (Chandrasekhar Rao) reportedly used a word `sannasi` (equivalent of saying useless or spineless) with reference to the Home Minister during his campaign at Sircilla on July 23," the CEO said.
"On July 22, Chandrasekhar Rao reportedly told people at Vemulawada that they should take money and liquor from the candidates of other parties, but vote for TRS," he said.
On an earlier occasion too, the EC had expressed strong displeasure over a "provocative" statement made by Rao during the electioneering.
He allegedly said Telangana would turn into a furnace if the separate statehood demand is not realised.
Meanwhile, the EC expressed its displeasure over the promises made by Information Technology Minister K Venkata Reddy and Congress nominee from Yellareddy constituency Mohd Shabbir Ali during the electioneering.
Reddy had reportedly promised to initiate new development works in Telangana, while Shabbir Ali allegedly addressed a gathering at a place of worship.
The polling for the 12 constituencies, necessitated following the resignation of sitting MLAs in support of separate Telangana demand, was held on July 27.
The counting of votes would be taken up tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31